Seasons of Love Part 20

Part twenty:

Rudra & I shared common interests. We loved music, art & poetry. Ten days after we met over coffee, we realised that both of us have come closer. Somewhere he understood the little unknown side of mine and I came to know the little things in him. Even at VK's home, when not studying we used to sit together discussing various things. And Arjun used to sit on my lap listening to us. One such day, I asked Rudra, "When are you both going back?"

"I don't wish to.", he said.

"Stop joking. Say.", I asked again.

He got up from the chair and came near us. He kept his hand on Arjun's head and said, "I am thinking to settle here. Will admit Arjun here in a good school."

"Yay! We will stay in India!", Arjun jumped from my lap and hugged Rudra.

I was still staring at Rudra trying to believe what he said. Was he joking? Or was he serious? My inner self was extremely elated. I never wanted to part from Arjun.

"Go and take a bath", he said to Arjun and called for the maid servant. She soon came in with four coffee mugs and kept it on the table beside us. Tania and VK were in the study. Tania was clearing her doubts. She was a brilliant student and therefore had doubts to clear. I never was studious so never really find out problems. And even if I did, she used to be a second teacher after VK. Always ready to help.

Rudra and I were waiting for them to come. Arjun went with the lady to take a bath.
"Are you serious, you are going to stay back here? What about your job?", I asked.
"I will also start teaching. And probably I'll start a business too. Come on. I can do anything. You can hire me.", he said and winked.
"Hire you? I? How?", I asked.
"Yeah. Hire me as your part time singer. Not much, pay me 500 bucks per song.", he said with a naughty grin.
"Huh. 500 for a song? I'll listen to the radio for free.", I said making faces.
"I don't sing on the radio.", Rudra teased me.
"Whatever. I won't hire you.", I smirked.
He sighed and said, "My bad."

I picked up the coffee mug and took a sip from it. He was looking at me with a devilish smile. He knew I was annoyed because of his poor joke. I gave him a disgusted look and said, "Be practical. Why do you want to stay here?"
He looked around, placed his mug on the wooden stool next to the sofa and said, "There's nothing there. Only memories. Here I have my close ones. My roots are here. I don't want to earn on a different land and be alone."
I still didn't understand what he was talking about. I asked, "And Ananya? Will she come here leaving her job?"
Rudra looked at me and said, "No. She won't come."
"Then?", I asked.
"She doesn't have to come. She doesn't love me. Why will she come?", he said.
I knew he started off again. Whenever we spoke about Ananya, it ended with a distress. He was disturbed from inside. The topic bothered him as he knew not what was actually the problem was between them. Maybe I didn't understand. Sometimes he said that she doesn't love him or Arjun and sometimes he said agreeing to my logic that maybe she couldn't express. But he wanted her to express. He told me many times, that his life with her was boring. He was becoming tired of his own life. But his decision to stay back in India was a bit too much.

I asked, "Did you tell her about your plan?"
"Yeah I did.", he said.
"What did she say?"
"Nothing"
I was amused, "What?"
"Yeah. She was quiet."

I was thinking now, what must be she thinking? Rudra is such a lovely boyfriend. So why such indifference. I was confused as I never met her. Still wished someday they'll sort out things sooner.
We stopped discussing anything further and quietly sipped our coffee. VK entered followed by Tania.

"What happened? Why are you both so quiet today? Did you fight again?", VK asked noticing the awkward silence. Tania giggled.
I said, "No VK. We are good friends now. Its just that... we were enjoying our coffee."
"Actually, I was telling her about my plans to be here in India.", Rudra said.
"Oh wow! Staying back in Kolkata? That's lovely. ", Tania said.
"Yeah", Rudra smiled.
"Oh yeah. Good news. Our dear Arjun will be here too.", I said to Tania.
"Wow!", she jumped spilling coffee on the floor. She was always hyper. We all laughed.
"Tania, calm down.", Rudra said.
I was still laughing.
"Wait. I'll bring some more coffee for you.", I said and took the half empty mug from her and went to the kitchen.