A Not So Good Feeling

When Harry and Louis arrived at Kricket's community, they stayed in the foliage, awaiting Kricket. She didn't appear right away, but they could hear excited verbal exchanges coming from the area of the huts. They knew the higher pitched voice was Kricket, as Kricket had already told them there were no other children of her age or younger.

Louis' pulse pounded in his temples. At the moment he was wondering if he was mad to be doing this. He and Harry had washed the best clothes that had been on the plane. The pants were a bit too short on Harry, but otherwise, they were clean and as presentable as they could make themselves.

When Kricket appeared some ten minutes later, Harry and Louis were practically ready to run and call the whole thing off. But now it was too late. They would have to follow through with what they had told Kricket – that they would meet the others.

They shifted uneasily and she took both their hands and walked between them, leading them to the huts with all the confidence of a warrior. It was not that long of a walk, but every step made Louis feel heavier, as if his feet didn't want to move forward; as if they had grown roots that wouldn't give way. Harry was unusually quiet, so Louis knew he was affected at least moderately.

The people appeared in the doors to their huts, or on the sand and soil as they did various chores. As soon as Louis, Harry and Cricket were spotted, they all stopped what they were doing instantly. They looked eager, and also like Harry and Louis, hesitant.

The moment of truth.

The first thing Louis noted was the smile on the face of the boy Kricket had described. He must be Tristan. She had said he had dark hair and was cheerful and spunky. Well, his smile looked genuine and heartfelt, but who really knew? He was about Louis' height or maybe an inch or two taller, and was very fit and in shape. He was young and very good looking. Couldn't have been more than nineteen or twenty.

"Hi!" he called out. Louis asked Kricket in a hushed tone if he was Tristan. She affirmed that he was.

"Hello!" Harry volunteered, pouring on his endless charm and letting his dimples do their thing. Louis saw how Tristan was taken aback for a moment. Man or woman, Louis realized it didn't matter. No one could possibly be oblivious to Harry's attractiveness. It burned like a spotlight.

There were five huts, and as Harry and Louis neared them, people began to approach them, but with a certain trepidation. They were all wearing clothes made of leaves, but the outfits varied, each person apparently wanting to be appreciated as an individual. People in green outfits, mused Louis, trying to keep an amused smile from forming. They looked like an extension of the greenery that abounded on this section of the island.

The next one they encountered was Emily, Kricket's mother. Kricket had been right when she'd said they looked a lot alike. They both had the same wavy long brown hair and big brown eyes. Cricket introduced everyone, but Emily appeared indifferent, and Louis found that fascinating, as everyone else seemed enthralled with Harry. Emily hardly glanced at him, and Louis decided he'd have to try to discover why she was so apathetic.

A couple were next, by the names of Robert and Amy. They were in their late thirties or early forties, and married, was Louis' guess. They seemed pleasant enough, if not a little reserved, which was understandable in this situation.

The next one was Adam, announced Kricket. This had to be the one Kricket had said was a little scary. And yes, Louis had remembered his name. He was built big, with wide shoulders and strong arms and legs, huge hands and feet, and looked at Harry and Louis as if they were mere ants, even though Harry was six feet tall. This guy was not much taller, but his sheer bulk was enough to intimidate. He wasn't overweight by much, but Louis was silently assessing him, and he was fairly sure he could out maneuver him if necessary. The guy moved slowly. Big, lumbering men were often awkward and ungainly. He grunted in a low voice when introduced but did hold out his hand to shake their own. However, his handshake was non-committal, and no smile broke out on his face.