Candlelit Dates

Mike reached for the plush towel hanging by the shower the moment he turned the water off. It felt good to be clean, and now he smelled like Jason's body wash and shampoo. He'd taken his time in the shower, thinking about dinner and hoping Jason would be willing to talk like he'd been that morning, while the water hit him from all sides. The shower was one of his favorite features of the Seattle apartment, and he'd taken advantage of the warmth and relaxation it provided while he got clean.

The frosted door to the bedroom was closed, and on it hung the clothes Jason had pulled together for him in silence before disappearing and giving Mike the privacy to get naked. He looked in that direction, knowing Jason was on the other side, as he wrapped the towel around his waist and stepped toward the vanity. The only toiletries he'd brought were a toothbrush and deodorant, and Mike pressed his lips together as he opened a drawer to look for a comb. Even though his hair would curl up on the ends all on its own, he needed to comb it down before it dried so it would lay more or less flat against his head.

There was a simple black plastic comb in the second drawer, and Mike looked at it before he ran it through his hair. It was clean, and it didn't matter if it was Jason's or Ryan's. It got the job done, and then Mike was putting on deodorant and looking at himself in the mirror before he pulled the towel off and tossed it in the hamper.

Wearing Jay's clothes will be weird, he decided as he ran a hand down his chest to his waistline. Even though they were roughly the same waist size, Mike carried his weight differently. He just hoped the dark gray dress slacks Jason picked out would fit him without being uncomfortable. With a shrug he reached for his boxers and slid them on, along with his undershirt. It was a base layer of his own clothes, and Mike rolled his eyes as the thought of body armor shot through his mind. I'm wearing his clothes out of necessity, he grumbled in his head, and if he'd just be reasonable about all of this, we wouldn't have to go out. But no. We need candles and lobster and expensive wine.

The idea of expensive wine and a romantic atmosphere wasn't unpleasant, though. Ryan had declared the restaurant as one of Jason's favorites, and that alone had been enough to get Jason to agree to go. Mike knew wine and candles wouldn't hurt his chances at getting Jason to listen to his sincere apology, either. He practiced what he might say in his head as he stepped into the pants, and grabbed the chosen shirt off the hanger to put it on.

The fabric of both the pants and the shirt felt expensive, silky and smooth as opposed to the dress clothes he had at home that were made of more sensible fabrics. Mike tucked the tails of the white dress shirt into his slacks and buttoned them, relieved that they weren't too snug, and buttoned his cuffs. The top button of the shirt was tighter than felt comfortable, and Mike left it open. Jason hadn't brought him a tie, anyway, so he figured it was fine. The combination was simple and classic, and Mike patted down his shirt as he looked in the mirror again. He looked fine, and Jason's clothes fit better than he expected. Well, I guess that's it. Here I am. Mike Shinoda, wrapped up in clothes I can't afford. He rolled his eyes at himself as he stepped out of the bathroom. Jason was sitting in a chair across from him, reading a book, and their eyes met the moment he walked into the bedroom.

Mike's damp hair was on the way to drying with the appealing curl that Jason loved, and he felt his pulse quicken when he looked up to see Mike in his clothes. He'd purposely chosen a pair of pants that were on the large side for him, and they looked great on Mike. It was hard not to smile. "You look pretty good in my clothes," he teased, sliding his bookmark into place. "I just need to find you a belt to finish off that look," he decided, standing up and leaving the book on the chair.

Mike looked down, touching the waistline of the pants. "Sure," he agreed, even though he didn't need a belt. He knew it was more about the look and less about keeping the pants up, and Jason could tell him he wanted Mike to wear purple chains around his waist and Mike would do it, if it would get Jason to forgive him. He stood awkwardly between the bathroom and the bed, and Jason walked right past him, into the bathroom, headed for the closet.