Chapter 11: Against The Odds

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HWANG HYUNJIN

It's been a few days since I spoke with Felix. We greet each other, but I make an excuse to be away from him. I've been hanging out with my brother's friends and Songsu more than him, and I believe my current behavior annoyed Felix. – After his confrontation with Songsu, I realized Felix's feelings were genuine; he was serious about us. Truthfully, I panicked; I didn't know he could like me so much. Inevitably, I share the same feelings for Felix; he makes me enjoy life again. However, I became scared of our future if we ended up together. I couldn't reach out to Felix because I was too self-conscious about our current circumstances.

When I stopped talking to Felix, I became lonelier. I escaped every time I could to the art room to paint and stay away from others. I finished all my tasks before the due dates, which is good. But I felt I had too much time on my hands for the first time in years. – I'm painting, wasting my time to let the day pass. Minho isn't home since he went out with his friends, and my father was at the office. Thus, I was at home with Yeseul, my father's wife.

While I paint, I seek answers to my questions. But I knew I must ask someone for advice because I don't have any experience with love. However, I feel unsure since I haven't revealed my feelings for Felix to anyone.

What if I ask Yeseul?

I thought Yeseul could help; she was the only one at home, and I couldn't speak with anyone close to Felix. Hence, after thinking for some moments, I stood up from the stool and walked downstairs with a glass of dirty water. – Eventually, I reached the first floor and saw Yeseul in the living area. I entered the kitchen to wash the glass. I stood there and took a deep breath, trying to find the courage to speak with Yeseul.

Soon, I left the glass on the drying rack and exited the kitchen. Nervously, I approached the living area and found Yeseul using her iPad. Cautiously, I sat on the couch next to her and fidgeted my fingers, trying to calm down my anxiousness.

"Yeseul, may I take some of your time?" I nervously spoke, immediately capturing my step-mother's attention.

"Hyunjin. Of course, are you okay?" Yeseul asked, looking genuinely concerned.

"Well. I know we don't talk often, but I need some advice," I honestly said before looking at Yeseul with tearful eyes.

"Why the tears? What is it, Hyunjin?"  Yeseul asked before getting closer to me. She held my hands and looked at me, bewildered.

"I feel trapped. It's the first time in a while I enjoy life so much, and I'm scared to lose it all again," I admitted while trying to control my emotions.

"Did you find your person?" Yeseul questioned, to which I nodded in response. She immediately smiled and caressed my hand. "Why are you so scared to be with that person?"