Chapter 36: Holy-Demonic Clash: Frozen delusions

3rd POV:

"Guess what's going to happen next?" Diablo said with a devious grin towards the King and his bodyguards.

"..."

Not saying a word, Edward trembled in fear from his previous outburst, hiding behind the protection of Saare and Glenda, the two not showing any signs of weakness as they analyzed the situation.

'This demon...' Gritting his teeth in a glare, Saare held tight to his sword and quickly studied his enemy and the current scenario in a brainstorm, with life and death flashing before his eyes.

Knowing that this demon messenger had the guts to intrude on the enemy base camp alone previously is enough to deduce the chances of his power aren't just bluffs. Adding in the previous illusions he gave him that hit him deeply, just made Saare's theory more believable.

The Saint had suspected Diablo's rank amongst the system but had yet to have the final piece of evidence to certify it out of nowhere. If he truly is primordial, then they are done for.

Prideful, but not driven by baseless arrogance. Understanding that if he wanted a way out of this mess, he must think and act carefully. Not to mention the massive warship that managed to warp space to appear above us instantly...

'Never had I expected this shit happening today, I was assigned to be a bodyguard of some slack, not to face something unexplainable!'

Cursing in his mind, he gulped and managed to gauge out a question.

"Hey, demon!" He pointed.

Turning to face Saare, Diablo changed to an interested look directed at the red-haired, displaying a level of curiosity.

"Ah, the human that stood his ground against my little illusions."

"Did you do that on purpose?"

"Hmm, who knows?" Diablo grinned. "But it is reliving to see you not fainting out from it, which had proven your worth."

"Sounds like a test."

"Perhaps, but it is fitting to serve as one." The demon shook his head, placing his hand on his chin as he observed the Saint.

"I presume you still haven't finished your words, correct?" He asked.

"Funny that you guessed correctly, but yeah." Saare rubbed his jaws off the sweat. "Tell me one thing, demon. Are you-"

Before he could finish asking, Diablo instead raised his hand in gesture for him to pause, as he did in time.

"Before answering you..." He closed his eyes for a second before opening it again with a bizarre tone.

"Impress me more, you two."

All of a sudden, Saare and Glenda felt an extreme amount of pressure weighing on their backs, their vision plunged into infinite darkness as manipulative whispers filled their eardrums, trapped in a state of despair and helplessness.

It may even be worse than the true hell, the actual netherworld.

'What in the...' Saare thought as he tried to reach for the boundaries of the dark, yet failed to even grasp the air and space itself. His anxiety growing but calms it down soon.

'This pressure originates from my very mind, that demon sent me another of his terrible realistic dreams!'

Understanding the reality, he quickly calmed down and channeled his will throughout his body and soul, concentrating on one sole thing to keep himself sane from the mad visions he was banished into.

'Remember, this is an illusion, but an illusion happening in my head.' He thought. 'If it's in my head, I must try to control it with my power, no matter how powerful it is!'

That is what a Saint should be focused on.

Determined, he abandoned all the unrelated thoughts and his troubled ideas from his head, focusing himself as the center of his mind. Then, to his surprise, the whispers began to fade, and the darkness engulfing him soon dispersed like blown smoke by a breeze.

Returning to reality, he huffed in exhaustion and took off his gloves, revealing his trembling hand covered in sweat, yet he still stands.

Wanting to know what the fate of his comrade is, he narrowed his eyes to check on Glenda, shocked to find her bow on the ground, fainted as she fell victim to Diablo's illusions.

"Tch." Saare irritatingly gritted his teeth, disappointed that his subordinate failed to handle the illusions cast on her.

Diablo, on the other hand, smiled as he clapped in congratulations of the Saint enduring his second test, stepping forward to face him properly.