20. Dense?

I scanned the pictures of hundreds of cakes on their menu. I wanted something basic, I just wanted to finish up the leftovers over the next week from my fridge. 

I picked and marked my final choice. My mom raised her eyebrows. 

"You sure you don't want a chocolate cake, Seb?"

I nodded. "Yeah."

"But you've been getting chocolate for the last...ten years? The closest you got to trying something new was trying a different variant of chocolate."

I laughed. "Don't worry mom. I just wanted to try something new."

x-x-x-x-x-x-x

"Get off my shoulder dipshit." 

I groaned. "But Theo, you're always sleeping on me. Why can't I do it?"

Theo rolled his eyes. "Because your bodyguard over there is shooting daggers with his eyes at me."

I turned around to see Finn standing on the other side of the corridor. He gave me a small wave with the tiniest smile playing on his lips. 

I turned back to Theo. "He's not shooting daggers. He's smiling."

Theo just gave a look of disbelief and shook his head. He mumbled under his breath, "The things I have to put up with."

Before I could reply, I saw Ryan pass by. "Hey, Ryan!"

He grinned. "Hey Seb."

I brushed my hair out of my face. Its been getting longer. I should probably cut it. 

"I barely see you around these days. Not even in the hallways, where do you hide yourself?"

Ryan laughed. "I've just been doing a lot of extra football practice recently. Every free second I get. Yup."

I nodded, slightly unsure. Ryan noticed Theo behind me. His eyes grew wider, before he yelled out a quick, "Hi Theo, bye Theo!" and skittered off. 

Theo and I watched his retreating figure. Was it just me, or there seemed to be a little extra jump in his steps?

Theo looked at me warily. "He certainly isn't practicing on the ground. Unless he's practicing in the toilet, he's hiding something."

How interesting. I glanced at Ryan and chuckled. "Well, he did seem skittish when he saw you. Probably realized you'd call him out on it."

He shrugged. "Not really my business anyway."

"Hey, Sebastian?"

I turned around to see Anna in another pretty dress with little mushrooms on the sleeves. 

"Hey Anna, your dress looks really cute."

She stared at me for a few seconds, her mouth opening and closing but no words coming out. She looked down at her shoes. "Thank you." She mumbled out. 

After another beat of silence, I bent down slightly and tried to catch her eye. "Is there something you wanted to say, Anna?"

She looked up and took a step back. "Uh, yeah. Actually no, nothing."