Chapter 16

BELLA EVERHART

I don't think I have been this excited for anything in a while , I opened the note and it said

"Where sunlight peeks through branches, seek the first clue beneath a fallen tree."

A fallen tree and sunlight, The sunlight is almost gone I need to look fast if I want to find the first clue. I moved opposite to the lake and came across a fallen tree , I walked towards it and saw a neatly folded piece of paper kept under a rock near the tree , well that was easy. I picked up the note and noticed Alex standing near one of the trees and observing me

The clue said:

"Follow the winding path until you find a rock shaped like a heart; nearby lies your next hint."

A rock shaped like a heart? Why do I feel like I have seen that somewhere, why can't I remember it , I am sure I just saw it.

I walked around for a while hoping to find it and then I remembered
I saw it at the edge of the lake when we first came here, I remember seeing that specific rock because it was painted white so it stood out from the rest of the rocks

I ran towards the lake to find it and I was right the rock is there , A heart shaped rock which is white in colour and something written on it with black paint , I picked up the rock to read

"In the shadow of an ancient oak, discover your clue hidden within a hollow log."

The ancient Oak , there are a few oak trees in this part of the forest but since the clue says ancient it has to be the oak tree near the road which is the tallest and it is probably the oldest too. I walked towards the tree with Alex close behind, he hasn't been talking much since the treasure hunt started, he seems stressed? Or nervous maybe?
"Are you ok?" I questioned reaching the tree "yeah, I am fine" he answered "you sure? You seem nervous" "I am fine really, you should focus on the clues"

I saw a hollow log a few feet away from the tree , I walked towards and and saw another piece of paper kept in the middle of the log , I bent down to reach inside the log, the note was a little far away but I managed to get it.

"In the heart of the forest, near a cluster of wildflowers, find a hidden box with your final clue."

I know exactly where that is the wildflowers are my favourite part of the area , I remember exactly where they are since I took a picture of them the first time I was here . I got so excited that I ran towards the wildflowers, Alex still close behind.

I reached the area with the wildflowers and did not see anything, that's weird this is the only place that has wildflowers, NO ITS NOT how did I not notice this , THE HEART OF THE FOREST.

I jogged towards the centre of the woods , where a few flowers can be seen and like the clue said beneath a cluster of wildflowers lies a beautiful box with butterflies on it . I pick up the box to open it and gasp when I see what's inside.

It is a silver pendent with a butterfly on it, it's definitely the most beautiful pendent I have ever seen. There is also a piece of paper in the box but I cannot stop looking at the pendent, It's spectacular.

I turn towards Alex to see him grinning "do you like it?" He says as if he even needs to ask after seeing my reaction "of course I do" I reply. I try to put it on myself but Alex takes it from my hands and proceeds to put it on me "Look at the next clue" He says

I open the box again and pick up the paper

Now you've reached the journey's end, Where woods and waters sweetly blend.
Beneath a stone by the lake's shore, Your treasure waits, what riches in store?