08. Persephone And The Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day

I woke up to a frightened scream.

Shooting out of bed, stumbling in a tired haze, I ran into Lydia's room where Ms. Martin was standing there horrified looking down at Lydia's bloody sheets.

"Lydia!" I yell terrified that some supernatural creature (yes, those still exist) got to her in the middle of the night. But, I saw the shaking strawberry blonde sitting in her bed, very much alive and stable.

"What did you do?!" Ms. Martin says worriedly as she takes her daughters hands, turning them over to find her knuckles cut like she has punched something sharp. "Oh my god! What did you do to yourself?" But Lydia didn't reply, just looked up confused, but then her eyes trained on something beside me and her eyes went wide.

The mirror was broken, cracked into pieces, blood smeared all over it and I took a wild guess that it came from Lydia's knuckles.

"Lydia, sweetheart, why did you do that?" No words came from the scared teens mouth. "Lydia?" Her mother asks even more apprehensive. But she only shook her head, not knowing the answer.

"I will... I will go get some bandages." Ms. Martin states before leaving the room so it was only the two of us.

"Do you remember doing it?" I asked softly, coming to sit on the edge of her bed.

"No, but Persephone, ever since that night of the dance... there's just this feeling inside of me. And I'm terrified, I'm just always terrified and I don't even know what for. I can't remember punching the mirror, or running through the woods, I just— don't remember. Can't remember. I don't know what's wrong with me."

"You think there is something wrong with you? Look at who you are talking to Lydia. The freak of the town. But we will go to the counselor today like we promised, and we will figure things out." I inform her before bringing her into a hug.

"Figure out why I am going insane? Lovely." Lydia sighs, wrapping her arms around me.

"Well, from the words of Alice In Wonderland and Norman Bates, we all go a little mad sometimes."

"You will be okay." I whisper. "I promise."

🌒🌓🌔🌕🌖🌗🌘

The waiting room chairs were uncomfortable and itchy on my thighs.

We had been sitting here for about five minutes, waiting for one of us to be able to go talk to Ms. Morell. Bored Persephone had decided to pick off all of the little lint balls from her sweater, and let me tell you, no improvement has been seen yet.

"Thank you." Lydia randomly says, too cheery for what happened this morning. I turned my head to look at her, as she was turning away from the empty chair beside her. My eyes circled the whole waiting room and I was for sure that no one else was in there with us. My eyebrows drew together in confusion.

She turned her head again as she was talking to someone, "Really?" She says in a conceited tone.

Still confused, I thought. I am, definitely, still very confused.

"I have an acute phobia of people prying into my personal life." She states, getting annoyed. Is she talking to a ghost? If she is talking to a ghost I am so out, I am so done. Noooo more supernatural shit for Persephone. My little mind is still trying to grasp the concept of werewolves.

"You?" She asks. I sit foward in my chair, craning my head to where Lydia is looking at. There is no one there. Seriously, no one. I sit back and rub my aching temples.