Chapter Nine - Scarlett

✰✦✰ Chapter Nine ✰✦✰" Scarlett "

" Scarlett "

"DARIUS—STOP—HEY—"

   I grabbed a hold of his shoulder as we entered his room. I should've just gone into mine but I needed answers. And I needed them now. Though I had gotten heavy satisfaction from seeing that old man being punched, I was a queen and had an obligation to know these things and act professionally about them. Just because I'd liked it didn't change the fact that he'd punched a president in the face.

   Darius turned around and the only light illuminating his face—the whole room for that matter—was the full moon beyond the window. His usually fearless eyes turned into an expression of pure emotion and vulnerability when he looked at me. Confusion attacked me on all sides. It was the sort of look that made one think that their enemy wasn't their enemy but merely another human just trying to figure out what they were doing with their life. The kind of look that caused millions of questions about his life to whiz past my brain, poking at it. The kind of look that made him just as human. And when I saw the usually hard and cold eyes turn weak and tired and glassy, I feared the world was ending.

   It was amazing how much of an impact a man I'd known for two months had on me.

   "Talk to me," I demanded. "You can't just pull a stunt like that and then expect me to keep quiet about it."

   His jaw sharpened. "Charlois was being an insolent, impertinent bastard. Someone had to shut him up."

   I frowned. Rude Man's name was Charlois. "And you call punching someone in the face shutting them up?"

   He spat, "Worked, didn't it?"

   "What aren't you telling me?" I whispered into the silence.

   Darius's chest fell and rose like he was desperate to say words but all that could escape were frantic breaths. He cleared his throat and attempted to appear a little more composed, "You don't know everything about my past, Scarlett. And I won't delve into it."

   I was puzzled. "Why not?"

   "Because this," He gestured between us, "isn't natural nor is it normal."

   I chuckled dryly. Was he joking? "You think I don't know that?"

   His eyes wandered down to my lips and he swore under his breath, turning again and walking further into the wide, dark room. I rolled my eyes in annoyance and slammed the door shut behind me as I followed him once more.

   "Do you mind?" he snarled.

   "Do you?" I snapped back. "You won't even tell me why you lost your bloody mind two minutes ago and punched the President of Crysilia. You've got some explaining to do before you start making me feel like I'm going insane."