Chapter 4: Bestfriends

As the first rays of dawn peeked through the curtains, I stirred from my slumber with a sense of anticipation. Today was the day I had been looking forward to for years – a morning outing with my best friend, Yuki. With a gentle stretch and a yawn.

Just as I was about to rise up from my bed, my phone rang, its cheerful tone breaking the quiet of my room. With a smile, Mon picked it up, seeing Yuki's name flash across the screen, and I put her on loud speaker.

"Mon.. Are you ready?

"I apologize, Yuki, I've just woken up. Can you come pick me up at our place?"

"Alright, I get it. You might still be feeling the effects of jet lag from your flight. I'll see you in an hour, okay? Get out of bed and get ready now. Bye." Yuki said goodbye cheerfully.

Quickly, I went about my morning routine, brushing my teeth, splashing my face with cool water, and dressing in my favorite casual outfit. As I stood in front of the mirror, I tied her hair back into a loose ponytail and adorned myself with a simple necklace, a gift from Yuki on our last adventure together.

With a final glance at my reflection, I grabbed my bag, making sure to pack my essentials – wallet, keys, phone – and slipped on my comfortable sneakers.

"Mon!!" My father's voice echoed from the living room.

"Yuki is here, aren't you done yet?"

"I'm coming, Papa!! Please ask Yuki to wait a little longer!"

Rushing downstairs, it wasn't just Yuki's prolonged wait that spurred me on, but also my eagerness to reunite with my dear friend.

Separated for nearly 7 years since my departure to England, this was our long-awaited opportunity to reconnect.

With haste, I descended the stairs, the familiar, high-pitched voice already reaching my ears before I reached the ground floor. Stepping into the living room, I was greeted by my friend's unchanged appearance.

"Yuki!" I exclaimed happily.

"Mon!!" She exclaimed back, unable to contain her excitement as she jumped onto the sofa to embrace me.

We were bouncing with joy like playful children.

"How have you been? It seems like the English air has been good for you. You look even more beautiful after all this time apart!" My friend praised.

"Oh, come on.. It's not..."

"I understand you've missed each other a lot, but it's getting late. You should probably get going, or you might need another day to fully catch up," Papa teased Yuki and me.

"Okay, Papa, we'll leave soon."

"Yuki, would you like to stay here tonight? It's Sunday tomorrow, so you likely don't have work," I suggested, knowing that one day wouldn't be enough for us to catch up properly.

"Absolutely!! I'd be delighted to!!" Yuki happily accepted.

"Okay!! Let's go now!!"

Yuki and I left with smiles on our faces. Papa and Mama escorted us to the gate. They treated Yuki like their own child, so whenever she was with me, their minds were at ease.

And the whole day passed without us even noticing. We didn't realize that the beautiful, bright sky was gradually being enveloped by darkness.

And just as we agreed, my day with Yuki didn't end there because we would still spend the night together in my room.

Upon our arrival home, upon opening our door, we discovered my parents arranging the dinner table.

"Oh, you're back! Perfect timing, dinner is ready," my father announced.