Chapter 30: Mon's Birthday

Sam turned to Mon with a hopeful expression. "Hey, why don't you stay here tonight?" she suggested, gesturing around the cozy interior of her home. "It's late, and I'd feel better knowing you're safe and sound."

"I love to, but I can't" Mon refused.

Sam's hopeful expression dimmed slightly as Mon declined the invitation. "Are you sure?" she asked, a hint of disappointment in her voice.

Mon nodded apologetically. "Yeah, I promised my parents I'd be home tonight. They're expecting me," she explained.

Mon flashed a mischievous grin at Sam. "By the way, you do remember what tomorrow is, right?" she teased, raising an eyebrow suggestively.

Sam's eyes widened in mock surprise. "Of course, how could I forget?" she replied, playing along. "It's the day the world was blessed with your presence, isn't it?"

Mon chuckled, nodding. "That's right. So, just to give you fair warning, I won't be reporting for work tomorrow," she announced with a playful wink.

Sam smiled warmly at Mon. "Don't worry, after my morning meeting, the day is all yours," she promised, gently guiding Mon towards the waiting taxi.

Mon's face lit up with excitement. "I can't wait!" she exclaimed, stepping into the taxi. "See you tomorrow, Sam!" she called out before the taxi pulled away, leaving Sam standing on the sidewalk with a smile on her face, already looking forward to spending the day with Mon.

The next morning, Mon's parents greeted her with warm smiles as she entered the kitchen. "Happy birthday, darling!" they chorused, causing Mon to blush with gratitude.

Her father winked mischievously. "So, is Sam planning to whisk you away for the day?" he teased.

Mon laughed, feeling a bit flustered. "Well, she did promise to spend some time with me after her morning meeting," she admitted, her excitement growing at the thought of spending her birthday with Sam.

Mon couldn't contain her excitement as she sat down with her family. "I'm so excited for today!" she exclaimed, a wide grin spreading across her face.

Her mother smiled warmly. "We're thrilled for you, dear. It's going to be a wonderful day," she said, her eyes sparkling with joy for her daughter.

As the clock ticked closer to noon, Mon couldn't shake off a twinge of disappointment as she hadn't heard from Sam yet. She tried to push away her worries, hoping that maybe Sam was just caught up with work and would reach out soon.

Mon's parents noticed her disappointment and suggested going out for dinner instead. "Let's make your birthday special regardless," her mother said with a gentle smile. Mon nodded, appreciating their effort to lift her spirits.

"Alright, let's go," Mon said with a forced smile, trying to push aside her disappointment over Sam's broken promise.

As they savored their meal, Mon couldn't shake off the disappointment of Sam's absence, her phone remaining silent throughout the celebration. Yet, she put on a brave face, cherishing the time spent with her parents despite the lingering hope for Sam's message.

As Mon stepped into the office the next day, she was greeted by a chorus of "Happy Birthday!" Her colleagues had prepared a delightful surprise, complete with balloons, streamers, and a cake waiting for her on her desk. Mon was overwhelmed with gratitude, her disappointment from the previous day melting away as she basked in the warmth of her colleagues' gestures.

Mon whispered urgently, "Keep it down, guys. Sam might hear us, and it could upset her."

Noi glanced around the room, then leaned in to whisper back, "Relax, Mon. Sam's been out since yesterday. We've got the place to ourselves."

Mon's brows furrowed in confusion as she turned to Yha, her expression a mix of surprise and concern. "What do you mean Sam's not around since yesterday?" she whispered back, her voice tinged with worry. Yha leaned in closer, her eyes reflecting a mix of curiosity and concern. "Didn't you know?" she whispered back, her tone hushed yet urgent. Mon shook her head, her mind racing with questions and apprehension.

Yha sighed as she explained, "Sam took some time off yesterday and today. She didn't mention why."

With a mischievous grin, she added, "Maybe Mon should shoot her a text, clear the air on whatever's been brewing."

Mon glanced at the clock. "It's noon, and still no word from Sam."

Feeling uneasy, Mon grabbed their jacket. "I'm heading to Sam's. Something doesn't feel right."

Yha's eyes widened in shock as Mon declared.
"Wait, are you serious?" Yha exclaimed, concern etched on her face. "What if he's just busy or needs space?"

Mon sighed, frustration evident in her voice. "I can't shake this feeling, Yha. Sam hasn't replied since yesterday, and she knows we had plans for my birthday."

Yha nodded, sympathy in her eyes. "I understand, Mon. Just be careful."

With a determined nod, Mon replied, "I will. I need to know she's okay." And with that, she grabbed her bag and headed out the door.

Mon's heart skipped a beat as she spotted the unfamiliar car parked outside Sam's house. Instinctively, she hesitated, sensing that someone might be with her. Taking a deep breath, she rang the doorbell.

Moments later, Sam opened the gate, and to her surprise, it was indeed Mon standing there. Sam tried to mask her astonishment. "Mon? I... I didn't expect to see you."

Mon's frustration bubbled up as she tried to keep her tone calm. "Sam, I've been waiting for your call since yesterday. You promised we'd spend my birthday together, and now, not even a message?"

She looked at Sam, searching for an explanation, but Sam's silence only deepened her disappointment.

Sam shifted uncomfortably, then confessed, "Mon, my grandmother decided to pay Kirk a surprise visit yesterday. But when she arrived and I wasn't there, Kirk made up this excuse that we had an argument and I went to my place to cool off."

She continued, "Now they're both here, and my grandma thinks she's giving us space to patch things up." Sam sighed, frustration evident in her voice.

As a distant voice called Sam's name, Mon glanced towards the source. "Sounds like your grandmother," she remarked quietly.

Sam turned back to Mon, her expression contrite. "I'm sorry, Mon. I promise I'll explain everything as soon as I can. Just give me a little time," she pleaded earnestly.

Sam raised her voice toward the sound of his grandmother's call. "Coming, Grandma! I'll be there in a minute," she assured her, then turned back to Mon.

"Sorry, Mon. I really need to go now," Sam apologized once more, a hint of urgency in her tone. As she closed the gate behind her, Sam leaned in. "Happy birthday, Mon," he whispered softly before hurrying off to join his grandmother.

Mon's frustration simmered as she watched Sam disappear into the house. She knew she couldn't force the issue—Kirk was still Sam's husband, after all.

With a heavy sigh, she turned away, her steps heavy with disappointment. There was nothing more she could do but leave Sam's house behind, her heart heavy with unanswered questions.