Chapter 59: Stilled Screams

Sitting alone in the dimly lit room, Kirk cradled his drink, lost in a whirlwind of thoughts and regrets. His gaze drifted into the abyss of memories, each one more painful than the last.

"I loved her since high school," he whispered, his voice barely audible above the soft hum of the room. "But when she chose Mon... it shattered me."

His hand trembled slightly as he lifted the glass to his lips, taking a slow sip to drown out the ache in his heart. "I settled for being her friend," he continued, the bitterness evident in his tone. "I was contented with just a fraction of her attention, just a sliver of her affection."

His words hung heavy in the air, a somber reminder of the love he had lost. "And then... she agreed to marry me," he murmured, his voice laced with regret. "I thought it was what I wanted, what we both wanted. But now... now I see how wrong I was."

A wave of anguish washed over him as he replayed the events in his mind, each one a painful reminder of the choices he had made. "I should have fought for her, truly fought for her," he lamented, his voice cracking with emotion. "But now... now it's too late."

As Kirk sat alone with his thoughts, a vivid flashback pulled him back to that night when he and Sam shared a room for the first time. The memory was etched in his mind, every detail crystal clear as if it had just happened.

As Sam rose from her seat, a sense of curiosity tugging at her, she made her way to the door, her footsteps echoing softly in the hallway. Kirk's eyes followed her every move, his gaze lingering on her figure as she disappeared from view.

Peering through the window, Kirk caught sight of the unexpected visitor, his breath catching in his throat as he recognized the familiar figure standing at the gate. It was Mon, her presence casting a shadow of uncertainty over the room.

Grandmother peered out the window, her curiosity piqued. "Who is the visitor, Kirk?" she asked, her tone tinged with suspicion.

Kirk, still watching from the window, shook his head. "I have no idea, Grandmother," he replied, his voice flat.

Grandmother's eyes narrowed. "Call Sam back inside," she instructed. "Dinner is ready."

Kirk opened the window slightly and called out, "Sam! Come back inside, dinner's ready!"

Sam, standing at the door with Mon, looked over her shoulder, her face pale with nerves. She exchanged a quick, apologetic glance with Mon before turning and heading back inside. As she stepped into the dining room, she could feel the weight of both Kirk and Grandmother's gazes on her.

"Who was it?" Grandmother asked, her voice sharp.

Sam hesitated, glancing briefly at Kirk before answering. "It was... just someone who got the wrong house."

Grandmother's expression softened slightly, but her eyes remained watchful. "Very well. Let's not keep the food waiting."

As Sam settled at the table, she noticed Kirk watching her closely. He picked up a glass of water and handed it to her. "Here, Sam. Drink this. You look a bit uneasy," he said, his voice gentle but with an undertone of concern.

Sam took the glass from Kirk, her hands slightly trembling. She managed a weak smile. "Thank you," she said softly, bringing the glass to her lips. She drank, hoping the act would mask her anxiety and prevent Kirk from becoming suspicious about the visitor outside.

Grandmother watched them both, her eyes darting between Sam and Kirk. "Is everything alright, Sam?" she asked, her tone less sharp but still probing.

Sam nodded quickly. "Yes, Grandmother. Everything's fine. Just... a bit overwhelmed by the day, that's all," she replied, forcing a smile to reassure her.