Chapter 41: Echoes of Conscience

As Sam's footsteps faded into the distance, Kirk's pent-up anger erupted like a volcano. With trembling hands, he seized a bottle of whiskey from the nearby table and poured himself a generous measure, the amber liquid glinting in the dim light of the room.

Each sip burned like fire as Kirk's mind swirled with a tempest of emotions. "She should only be mine," he muttered bitterly to himself, his voice thick with resentment. "She shouldn't belong to anyone else."

With each swallow of whiskey, Kirk's anger intensified, fueling the flames of jealousy and possessiveness that consumed him. In his mind, Sam was his and his alone, and the thought of her being with someone else filled him with a seething rage.

As the hours slipped away and the whiskey dulled the edges of his pain, Kirk sank deeper into despair, grappling with the bitter reality of Sam's departure and the shattered illusions of their once-promising future. Alone in the darkness, he drowned his sorrows in the numbing embrace of alcohol, his heart heavy with the weight of unspoken regrets and unfulfilled desires.

Kirk clenched his fists, his anger palpable as his phone buzzed. "Hello?" he answered tersely.

"Kirk, is it true?" Sam's grandmother's concerned voice crackled through the line.

Kirk's shoulders slumped, defeated. "Yeah, Grandma. It's true," he admitted, his voice heavy with regret.

"Don't worry. I'll have a word with Sam. Everything will be alright," his grandmother reassured him, her tone firm with determination.

Grandmother's eyes narrowed as Sam entered the grand foyer of the mansion. She sat regally on the plush sofa, steam curling from her cup of tea. "Ah, Sam, there you are," she greeted with icy politeness.

Sam's lips curled into a smirk as she approached. "No need to beat around the bush, Grandma. I think we both know why you've summoned me," she retorted, her tone dripping with sarcasm.

Grandmother's gaze hardened, her voice cutting through the tension. "Oh, I'm well aware, Sam. You've orchestrated this, haven't you? You knew this would happen," she accused, her words laced with disdain.

Sam settled onto the opposite sofa, her posture defiant. "Let's cut to the chase, Grandma. I've made up my mind," she declared, her voice steely. "I'm leaving Kirk for good, and I've already filed for an annulment."

Grandmother's lips curled into a sarcastic smile. "Oh, how surprising, Sam. I never would have guessed that you're 'not thinking' again," she jabbed, her tone dripping with disdain.

Sam's jaw tightened, her resolve unwavering. "I've thought long and hard about this, Grandma," she shot back, her voice firm. "I'm done with this marriage. I want out."

Grandmother's eyes narrowed as she fired back, her sarcasm biting. "Seems you've conveniently forgotten, Sam, the benefits you've reaped from this marriage. A better life, a continuation of the family legacy, your reputation intact as the sole heir of the company," she taunted.

Sam cut in, her voice firm and resolute. "I don't need any of that if I'm not truly happy, Grandma," she retorted, her eyes blazing with determination. "My happiness comes before everything else now."

Grandmother's taunts escalated, her words cutting deep. "Does your happiness still come first, Sam, when the lives of your staff hang in the balance? When the company's market value plummets because of this scandal? If the decline continues and the company shuts down, your staff will lose their livelihoods," she pressed, her tone relentless.

Sam's frustration boiled over, her voice cracking with emotion. "You've gone too far, Grandma! Using my staff to guilt me into stopping this annulment," she shot back, her hands clenched into fists. "My happiness matters, but I won't sacrifice my freedom for the sake of others' convenience."

Grandmother's guilt trip intensified, her words like daggers aimed at Sam's heart. "And what about Mon, Sam? Have you considered the stain on her reputation after this? What will people say about Mon, an outsider who shattered the married life of Diversity's heir?" she pressed, her voice heavy with disappointment.

"All my life, I've worked to provide you with comfort and happiness," she continued, her tone laden with sorrow. "But it seems you don't appreciate any of it."

Sam stood her ground, her voice unwavering as she defended her decision. "My happiness lies with Mon, Grandma. She's the one I truly love, the person I sacrificed when I agreed to save the company and appease you," she declared, her eyes blazing with determination. "I won't sacrifice that happiness again."

Grandmother's retort was sharp and cutting. "You may continue to pursue your own desires, Sam. But when the company crumbles, I hope you can live with the knowledge that it was your choices that led to the loss of livelihoods for so many," she said, her words heavy with resignation.

With that, the confrontation reached its peak. Sam turned on her heel and left, her heart heavy but her resolve unbroken.

Meanwhile as Mon sat in their garden, the gentle rustle of leaves soothing her troubled mind, Nop approached quietly. "Mind if I join you?" he asked, his voice gentle.

Mon glanced up, offering a small smile. "Not at all, Nop. Please, have a seat," she replied, patting the space beside her on the bench.

Nop settled down, the warmth of the afternoon sun enveloping them. "Quite the scandal with Sam and the annulment, isn't it?" he ventured, his tone cautious.

Mon nodded, her gaze drifting to the flowers swaying in the breeze. "Yes, it's been a lot to process," she admitted, her voice tinged with sadness.

"Mon, I want to apologize for what I said the other day," he began, his tone remorseful.

Mon turned to him, surprised by his confession. "What do you mean?" she asked, her brow furrowing in confusion.

"I... I didn't mean to proclaim my love for you like that," Nop admitted, his gaze fixed on the ground. "I know it's wrong, especially because we're cousins. I got carried away, and I realize now that it was envy talking. I was envious of Sam, and I let it cloud my judgment."

Mon reached out, placing a comforting hand on his shoulder. "It's okay, Nop. I understand," she reassured him, offering him a small smile. "We all have moments of weakness. What matters is that you're sorry, and I appreciate your honesty."

Nop leaned in, his voice filled with hope. "You know, Mon, I'm actually happy that Sam's taking steps to fix everything. Maybe after all this, you and Sam can finally be together," he suggested, a glimmer of optimism in his eyes.

But as he looked closer, Nop noticed the worry etched on Mon's face. "Hey, what's wrong?" he asked gently, concern coloring his voice.

Mon hesitated for a moment before confessing, "I'm just afraid of what it might cost Sam to make things right after all this mess," she admitted, her voice tinged with concern. "I don't want her to suffer because of me."

As Mon and Nop sat in the garden, a voice called out from the gate, breaking their conversation. They both turned to see Sam standing there, her expression unreadable.

Nop stood up, giving Mon a reassuring pat on the shoulder. "I'll leave you two to talk," he said softly, giving her a knowing look.

Mon nodded gratefully as Nop opened the gate for Sam. "Please take care of my cousin," he said to Sam before slipping away, leaving Mon and Sam alone to face whatever lay ahead.