Chapter 9 - Plan in Action

"Get into the car,"

Hugh's mind couldn't move away from that sentence. How did-

What even-

Maybe it was best to stay silent. Maybe it was best to not say a word and keep going. 

And so he sat, in his father's car, his parents at the front, all driving to his grandmother's house, where he would be staying from now on.

How had his life mounted to this?

To be fair, he was sort of glad that he was picked up by his parents, otherwise he would have to walk home. He hadn't been kicked out, instead they had had a bit of a laugh... how peculiar....

And then they had gotten quiet... so quiet... and it seemed like the world had shut down around Hugh and nothing was ever real anymore. 

And then he left, sitting on the front of Yale's compound, having told a lie that his parents are here to pick him up.

An hour later, there they were.

What a life it was. 

Suddenly, a call. 

His father and mother were called to the hospital on urgent business.

And so he sat, now, in a hospital ward, as his parents ran around in another ward in white coats. He looked around. It was white and plain. There were families everywhere, people in their own wards, hidden by the muse of the curtains. It was a ward for the severely hurt, his mother had told him once when he was five, and the children and the dead. And no he sat there, where almost dead lie, surrounded by people they love, hoping that the last ounce of life could come back to them, but never would. 

Hugh sat at the front of the ward, in a chair, his school bag right beside him and an empty expression on his face. He could've popped out his phone, scrolled through until his parents were done with work and could take him to his grandparents, but he couldn't muster the energy. his brain had become bleak and couldn't think of what to do and how to do it and so he sat in the ward, listening to gentle words and half sad smiles.

Suddenly, there was a cry, "I don't wanna go to the thingy!"

Another child crying. He was used to this, afterall he had spent so much time here as a child. 

"You have to!" 

"I don't wanna!"

"Chemistia!"

"No!"

It rang in Hugh's head for a while, the back and forth argue between the mother and the child. He knew how she couldn't tell the child anything, how the child couldn't possibly know that if she didn't...

And then, a familiar voice, one that he knew all too well, "Please,"

It rang in Hugh's head. It was a voice that begged when it never really did. Another conversation followed, soft and understanding, before a woman stepped out of the ward to talk to a nurse. 

Hugh stood up and made his way to door of the room without thinking. He stood there for a while, lost in his own thoughts, unaware of what he was doing. He just felt the need to come near the voice, to do... something.... whatever that something was. He wasn't really focused, lost in the world of his own head when he felt himself being pushed against the wall.

"What the fuck are you doing here?"

Physica had her hands on his collar and a dangerous snarl in her words.

Hugh stared at her, very slightly panicked, before managing to spit out, "m-my p-parents work here,"

She gave him the most 'are u fucking with me' look before letting him go. Hugh (being the wimpy ass kid he is (he's not even like that irl idk i just like to make him like that bcs his personality and shit bro dont u dare fine me for this bs bro)) stumbles back. 

"Why are you outside here specifically then," she raised her eye brow.

Hugh was dead, now. How on earth was he supposed to answer that? It was the voice in his head, the stupidity in his brain, the shock in his veins, that was the true answer, but he couldn't give that answer, so instead he managed to spit out, "I got lost,"

She stared at him for a moment, deciding whether to believe him, call him a loser or drop kick his ass to outer space.

"What?"

"Haha... yeah," Hugh raised his arms in self defence and stared at her in terror.

She stared at him for another moment, before sighing once more and pinching the brook of her nose, and then she stared at him for another moment, as if in pity.

"You weren't like this about a week ago, you look dazed now," she finally concluded, shaking her head and walking off.

Hugh thought about that for a moment. He was 'dazed' now.... what did that mean? He did suppose that things like this never happened to him before... 

In fact, things like NEVER happened to him before! Things like this were so new! As if in a movie... or perhaps a book... no... whatever happening to him was undignified and stupid as hell... the only real form of media that could accomodate this form of idiocy was a wattpad! It as idiotic, unreal and could only come out as something from the thoughts of a depressed, crazy fifteen year old! Things like this would never happen before! He was happy before! All he did was mess about and get in detention before! The worse drama he'd ever had was when a kid stole his birthday present on his fifth birthday!

...then what was happening to him?

He chased after Physica, half afraid and half driven. He was GOING to find out what was happening. He was GOING to bring back his friendship with Yale and he would NOT let whatever sadistic teenager out there control his thoughts and feelings. 

"I need you to help me,"

And so he told her everything.

It was a lengthy explanation of what had happened when he arrived at Yale's house. The fact that they had gotten a long so well before, and then they had collapsed when he had the intrusive thought to kiss him and then they had joked about it being gay and had pushed it away and Yale had admitted that he responded so aggressively because he thought Hugh was trying to make him cheat on his girlfriend (that one got out a what the fuck). 

"And what exactly am I supposed to help you out with?" she asked at the end of the rant.

"I want to know what's going on!" he looked at her helplessly.

She sighed once more, and out her hands on his shoulders, "Do you love Yale?"

The question took him a back in shock. Did he love Yale? Wasn't he just a friend? Did he truly love him? Did he truly want Yale as his own?

𝘠𝘌𝘚 𝘏𝘌 𝘋𝘐𝘋.

W̶h̶o̶ w̶a̶s̶ t̶h̶a̶t̶?̶

"Yes," he concluded finally.

"Then if we want to get you that date, we need to go through this American-high-school-movie style!" She looked at him with determination in her eyes.

"And how are we gonna do that?" he looked at her, half confused, half knowing but not wanting to admit it.

"You know exactly how," she removed her hands from his shoulder and looked at him with a menace in her eyes.

"No..."

"Yes..."

"But what's in it for you!?" he pointed straight at her.

"I hate Brave's guts," she shrugged.

Hugh stared at her dumb-foundedly for a second, before shrugging himself.

They exchanged numbers and decided that the plan would be in motion.

It had been an hour since this encounter and the two had not talked since. Physica had gone off to her sister and Hugh had been planning to go home.

He walked with his parents to the car. He had had a long day and his head hurted a bit. He thought about the day for a moment. How much had happened today? As he was thinking, he noticed a voice coming from behind somewhere.

"I've got him in the trap,"

It was Physica.

Oh god...