Floo Powder and Flowers

Molly Weasley often thought of herself as a strong, kind, but firm woman.

It was not a conviction that was held up weakly by ego or arrogance either, she had prevailed in the harshest of times.

She had witnessed the beginning and end of the First Wizarding War, a horrific era for the wizarding community under the Dark Lord's reign. So many friends and relatives were killed in that terrible, terrible decade that, even to this day, she found herself picking up the fragmented pieces left behind from the lives that had been cut too short.

Her twin brothers were killed in that war, too. Fabian and Gideon Prewett. There were no words to describe the pure anguish that devasted and, truthfully, never left her. Arthur had to help pick up her own pieces left behind - the parts of herself that withered away that day.

On top of that, raising six sons and a daughter, especially on one government paycheck, was a challenging task for anyone. At times, a nightmare! And she could admit, she wasn't the perfect mother. Her short temper was infamously ferocious and her expectations were staggeringly high at times for both herself and her children.

But, she always tried. And really, that's what mattered. Her dearly loved children would never go hungry under her roof. Her children's home would be safe and welcoming as long as she willed it. To say she was not strong, after experiencing what she had, was a grave and vile insult to her very character...

Yet despite everything, why did Mrs Weasley sometimes struggle to look [Name] Potter in the eye?

It was not because she was ashamed, jealous or whatever nonsense one could assume, certainly not. Rather, [Name's] dark green eyes, inherited from her late mother, were too heavy for such a young girl. They were uncomfortably familiar to Mrs Weasley and too soon did Molly realise that when she looked in the mirror to face an older woman, who had seen hardship, pain, and despair...

[Name's] had the same eyes that gazed back.

Mrs Weasley had her suspicions when she saw those two lost children last year at Kings Cross - ribs poking through fraying shirts, one with broken glasses and the other wearing shoes too big and laces tied too tight. "Now, what's the platform number?" she had said quite loudly, knowing full well of the number so she could help those lost children find their way.

How could she have known she was the Girl-who-shouldn't-be? How could she have known they were 'The Twins who remained'?

Arthur Weasley certainly found it hard to believe when Mrs Weasley expressed some concerns. Surely not the Potter Twins. Yet, after meeting and seeing the state of the Potter children in person, hearing of the bars over the windows, the cat flap on their door, their possessions locked under the stairs... Meeting their eyes. Mr Weasley was, unfortunately, convinced.

What made Mr and Mrs Weasley even more distraught was that [Name] thought it was all so... normal and her brother, disturbingly, the same.

And they were only 12 years old.

So really, how could Mrs Weasley not fuss over the state of their clothes and try to get the twins to eat fourth helpings at every meal? Or how could Mr Weasley not bombard the twins with questions about life with Muggles, asking them to explain things like how plugs and the postal service worked? (Though, to be fair, these were genuine questions he had). They were determined to make up for the Dursley's many failures.

It was safe to say Mr and Mrs Weasley now had seven sons and two daughters. Even if Harry and [Name] didn't quite know it yet.

⚯ ͛