Fierce Lion

[UNEDITED]

Language as well, reader ain't taking no BS and I swore like a sailor when I was 12 oof

(Name) yawned sleepily into her palm and listened endearingly to Hermione babble about their upcoming first Potions class with enthusiasm. Mornings, after all, were always a heavy task for (Name) as she could never seem to get up. Thankfully Hermione seemed to catch onto this trait and encouraged the girl to wake up for lessons - basically becoming her new alarm clock and friend. She had a few chats with Lavender and Parvati; appreciating they were good people to share a dorm room with.

The past few days in Hogwarts had been very eventful for (Name) and in the little time, she had been at there... Hogwarts had revealed magic was more than a party trick: waving around a stick and saying some strange words. Of course, on the girl's first day, whispers had followed her departure from her dormitory with Harry. (Name) didn't mind them too much, she thought they were charming and - though people were lining up outside classrooms to get a look at her or Harry - she didn't mind the staring either.

Harry was a different story; he felt a bit uncomfortable and was more concerned with finding his way to classes. (Name) merely acknowledged them and a few times waved to gawking students with a petite smile - chuffing in amusement as they seemed to swoon. It was awfully weird but the girl found them endearing.

(Name) hated the staircases that would constantly change - there were a 142! All varying from wide, sweeping, narrow, rickety; some that led somewhere different on a Friday; some with a vanishing step halfway up that you had to remember to jump. She also thought some of the doors were tedious, some wouldn't open unless asked politely and some weren't doors at all - who designed this place? Did they know students had to be in class ON TIME? (Name) didn't pay the ghosts much attention or the caretaker, Argus Filch or his cat Mrs Norris, considering her classes the utmost priority.

She thought all the teachers were marvellous (though Professor Binns, a ghost teaching History of Magic, was a drag); she especially liked Professor McGonagall. Strict and clever, she gave them a talking-to the moment her first class began.

"Transfiguration is some of the most complex and dangerous magic you will learn at Hogwarts," she said. "Anyone messing around in my class will leave and not come back. You have been warned."

Then she changed her desk into a pig and back again. They were all impressed but it was too good to be true; they weren't going to be changing the furniture into animals for a long time. After a series of complicated notes, they were each given a match and started trying to turn into a needle. By the end of the lesson, only Hermione and (Name) had made any difference to their matches; which Professor McGonagall showed to the class. (Name) was glowing with pride when she gave her and Hermione a rare smile.

DADA (Defense Against the Dark Arts) had turned out to be a joke after much anticipation, unfortunately. Professor Quirrell was practically the only teacher (Name) somewhat disliked because of his incompetency and hated the smell wafting from off his turban. The Weasleys twins insisted that it was stuffed full of garlic like his classroom, much to (Name's) entertainment.

But probably the most significant thing for (Name) was... she was hanging out with Harry less and less. This was a double-edged sword for (Name), she loved Harry and was a bit blue about this but she was also becoming her own person and making her own friends! And that friend was no other than...

"Hermione, do you think McGonagall ever gets into any petty fights with the Hogwarts cats just to let off some steam?"

"...(Name), please don't ask me that before our first Potions lesson."