Baby steps to Independence

[UNEDITED]

(Name) eyes widened as the door swung open at once. A tall, black-haired witch in emerald green robes stood there and her very stern face said this was not someone to cross.

That was the witch from my dreams... Catlady... I DIDNT KNOW SHE WAS REAL!?

"The firs' years, Professor McGonagall," said Hagrid. Ah, so that's her name.

"Thank you, Hagrid. I will take them from here." She pulled the door wide and the entrance hall made (Name's) jaw practically hit the floor; it could fit the whole Dursley's house in it. Stone walls lit with flaming torches, the ceiling was too high to make out.

Immediately, the mysterious cat lady from our favourite twin's dream showed the first years into a small empty chamber off the hall. A drone of hundreds of voices came from a door on the right - (Name) guessed all the other students had already arrived.

Professor McGonagall talked about the "Sorting Ceremony" which would take place in a few minutes and everyone started to smarten themselves in preparation. (Name) patted down her hair the best she could and readjusted her robes, before doting over Harry and attempting to flatten his hair. Nope, that never worked, it just stuck out everywhere again, like normal.

(Name) felt a bubble rise in her stomach, excitement or nervousness? Most likely both as she was rather anticipating this moment for a while - McGonagall said there was a test and though she had no clue what it was going to be, she was ready.

The girl was also pleasantly surprised at the sudden appearance of ghosts, all delighted at the new huddle of students she was apart of. This was no surprise to the girl as she had read the textbooks from Diagon Alley, she knew all about them - yet at the sight of ghosts... Genuine ghosts... She couldn't help but gasp.

Before long, Professor McGonagall returned and the stomach in the girl's bubble dilated. The ghost floated away one by one. This was it.

"Now, form a line," she told the first years, "and follow me."

(Name) clutched Harry's hand behind him, Ron trailing behind her as they walked through the chamber and finally, through a pair of double doors into the Great Hall.

The Entrance Hall was nothing in comparison to the Great Hall, it was a strange and splendid place (Name) could never imagine in her dreams. Thousands and thousands of candles floated in midair and over four long tables, the rest of the students were sitting. The tables were laid with glittering golden plates and goblets. Hundreds of face stared, looking like lanterns in the flickering candlelight and the ghosts were dotted here and there.

(Name) was a confident person, maybe a bit stubborn, but at the sight of so many peering eyes made even her a tad bit nervous. Her grip on Harry's hand tightened and she looked upward to avoid the staring, only to see a velvety black ceiling dotted with stars. The ceiling was open to the heavens.

Looking down from the spectral sight of the ceiling, (Name) watched as McGonagall placed a four-legged stool in front of the first years and on top of it, she put a pointed wizard's hat. Patched, frayed and extremely dirty.

Looks can be deceiving. (Name) thought yet again and at that, the hat came to life, the rip near the brim opened like a mouth - and the hat began to sing.

So she had to try on the hat - it would decide her fate for which house... Huh. But the thought of going up, in front of hundreds of people to try on a HAT of all things, made her bit queasy. She looked at Harry and he was looking back - they had thought the exact same thing.

She watched onward as the hat was put on people's head and called out their house name, tension rising in her stomach - that bubble was ready to explode in her stomach and she was genuinely feeling quite sick. Her leg couldn't stop shaking on the spot. Why am I scared? I don't have stage fright and I wasn't afraid in the pub with all those people looking at me... I'm guessing it just a big decision and it's overwhelming that's all... And... It's a big decision without Harry. It's my first... without him.