Mirror of Lies

December quickly dawned on Hogwarts with the arrival of snow and the bustling excitement of Christmas slowly approaching.

The lake was frozen solid and Weasley twins were punished for bewitching snowballs to follow Quirrell around and bounce off the back of his turban and a few owls that managed to endure stormy skies to deliver mail were nursed back to health by Hagrid before they could fly off again.

And yet, [Name] was not looking forward to the holidays to start. Contrary to everyone else. While the Gryffindor common room and the Great Hall had roaring fires, the iciness of the drafty corridors and bitter wind whistling through the classroom windows reminded [Name] of the coldness of the season. Especially in Professor Snape's classes down by the dungeons, where their breaths would rise in a mist before them and they huddled as close as possible to their hot cauldrons.

This season, though it had its perks, was just so lonesome and -  at Christmas -  it could be at its worse.

This year, however, would be different. [Name] could finally afford a proper present for Harry and her friends and she wouldn't be celebrating at the Dursley's this year. professor McGonagall had come around a week prior; making a list of students who would be staying for the holidays and the Potter Twins signed up at once. There was hope for this Christmas... It would probably be the best Christmas they'd ever had... Ron and his brothers were staying too because Mr and Mrs Weasley were going to Romania to visit Charlie.

"I do feel so sorry," said Draco Malfoy, one Potions class, "for all those people who have to stay at Hogwarts for Christmas because they're not wanted at home."

Malfoy looked over at Harry and [Name] as he spoke, wallowing in the laughter of his lackeys, Grabbe and Goyle.

The two merely ignored him, too busy with potions to regard the little shit... even though he was technically older but that was beside the point. Malfoy was a salty Sandra that Slytherin had lost and had been increasingly unpleasant than usual since. He apparently had tried to get everyone laughing at a wide-mouth tree frog would be replacing Harry as Seeker next but everyone was too impressed by Harry's big dick energy to laugh at this petty joke.

The weird thing was... he had approached [Name] a few days following the incident. Like usual on her lonesome but serene walks, however, what he had to say was very out of the ordinary for the pureblood Draco Malfoy.

He was on his own and stopped before [Name]. She begrudgingly stopped, face slumping in displeasure; waiting with boredom for Draco's usual petty quips and insults about her, Harry or anyone she cared about. But what he said caught her off guard. Very off guard.

"Are you okay?" Draco coughed into his fist, averting his eyes. "Your nose seems fine. Just wanted to know for sure."

What.

"OI! What the—!"

[Name] had shoved Draco against the wall by his robes; green eyes dilated in panic as she held him there by the front of his robes.

"Who are you and what have you done with Draco Malfoy?!" She demanded.

"Ugh! I shouldn't have bothered. Get off me, stupid girl!" Draco huffed, yanking himself away from [Name's] clutches and storming off with long and stomping strides.

[Name] was genuinely under the impression that this was an imposter under the polyjuice potion. Who could blame her? Draco Malfoy and caring were two words that had never been a concept ever for her... But the next day he was back at it again, taunting the Potter twins lack of a family. Perhaps there was a chance in Draco. Perhaps. And [Name] had ruined it, the absolute dumbass.