Lucia

Lucia

Out of the 1.6 million people populating the streets of Barcelona, I managed to bump into the one person I was trying to avoid.

"I'm so sorry, I wasn't looking where I was goin... Lucia? Is that you?"

Charles was just as shocked as I was.

"I- yeah, it's me."

"I can't believe that just happened."

Neither of us had a clue on what to do next.

We kinda just fell into a trance of staring into each other's eyes. 

His eyes held a feeling of safety.

There was a sense of trust.

It was something that I had never experienced before.

After what felt like hours, looking into his eyes, and more so, to save myself from this interaction becoming really awkward. I said the first thing that came into my head.

"Fuck, bumping into you drivers feels the same as being hit with a 10,000 pound semi-trailer"

Putting a hand on his chest and smirking he said whilst laughing.

"Ouch Lucia, you've really hurt my feelings"

I couldn't help but smile at his joke, even though I tried not to. 

Without thinking I asked him another question to keep the conversion going. 

Which I even managed to shock myself with. 

"I thought you'd be at the hotel checking in since you had your meeting straight after the flight."

"Yeah, Carlos and I just checked in 45 minutes ago and before my manager could find me, I ran out to have some time to myself. And what better way to spend my time than exploring the city. I guess you are doing the same?"

I nodded my head.

"I don't really like being cooped up in hotel rooms. I'd much rather create new memories in a new city."

He hummed, then nodded his head in what I think is the direction back towards the hotel. He must have gotten a text message saying he must also be back.

We fell silent again as we walked along the streets next to each other. But not in an awkward way. It was more like we could enjoy each other's company without having to say anything. 

The streets were full of lots of locals going about their day. Some looked like they were catching up with friends, others looked like they were working in small businesses. We even passed a small football pitch with lots of children running around. For a moment we just watched them, as theyran around and had fun playing. 

We carried on walking past the pitch, when a group of boys ran and cut in front of me and it caused me to fall backwards. I shut my eyes, bracing myself for impact, waiting to hit the ground.