Going Into the Woods With The Prince?!

Even after having a big breakfast, Andrew didn't think he was prepared to go out for a long walk. Elias promised him over and over again that he would do whatever he could to make it comfortable for him, but being out in the woods in general would have him in a sour mood.

"We'll make the trip as fast as possible. And, if it goes exceptionally well, then you'll be back home by the end of it. All we have to do is find a spot in the woods where the magic is active and find a way to get it to take you back home." Elias lifted a leather bag, the straps having to tie in the front for him to wear it like a backpack and not squish his wings.

Andrew grabbed the bag that had been made for him from one of the staff, easily slinging it over his shoulders. The weight of it didn't bother him like he thought it would, making him wonder what had been packed. He had a change of clothes in there for sure, since Elias had bought him some, but other than that, Andrew didn't know what sort of things the staff had considered essentials for their trip.

"We can hope it'll be that easy." Knowing what to expect was impossible, but Andrew had a funny feeling his time with Elias wasn't going to be cut short.

"Agreed. Hopefully, it is." Elias grabbed Andrew's hand, feeling the new bandages he had put on it the night before. "Is your hand at least feeling better? I know some first aid things have been packed for us, so please let me know if you need something for it."

Andrew wiggled his fingers in the prince's large grasp. "It's doing fine for now. Honestly, ever since I dipped it in that nasty water, it's been doing better. I don't know what kind of herbs were mixed in there, but they seem to have done the trick."

"Good, I'm glad to hear it."

Some of the staff were around the front door of the castle to see them off, despite the insistent drizzle of rain. None of them seemed to want to talk to Andrew, though. Most of them wished the prince a farewell, and while Andrew didn't know any of them, it was still odd to him that none of them looked his way.

"I hope that you're not thinking of leaving before saying goodbye to your mother," Amerilla said loudly. She stood in the doorway, her eyes only on Elias. "I know you're old enough to leave the house whenever you'd like, but I would hope that you'd invite me to say goodbye."

Watching the queen walk towards them had Andrew shrinking back a little, not just because she towered over him, but also because the brief glance she did give him held more malice than he had ever seen a pair of eyes hold.

"Ah, sorry mother. This is supposed to be a quick trip, I told you that. It's not like I'm going to be gone for very long, so I figured I would just be sure to say hello again when I came back." Elias slightly bowed his head, then wrapped his arm around Andrew's shoulders, bringing him closer to his side. "If the mages are correct, and we're able to figure out how the magic sent Andrew here, then I'll fly back by myself so that it's even faster. And if we can't, I'm sure Andrew wouldn't mind a little flying on the way back to make it quicker."

"Won't mind it at all, if I can shut my eyes and pretend it's not happening." Andrew tried his best not to look Amerilla in the eyes, but once he was mentioned, he could feel her heated glare boring into him. "Or, y'know, whatever is fastest will be fine."

Amerilla sighed and reached out to place her hand on Elias' shoulder. "You're going to come home as quickly as possible, and you're going to come back safe and unharmed." She paused for a moment before her hand landed on Andrew's shoulder, her grasp a lot softer than he thought it would be. "Both of you. I don't wish ill on you, Andrew. But please, make sure Elias stays out of trouble. And don't drag him into any."

Andrew had to hold back a laugh. "Mister chivalry himself, get into trouble? I don't see it, but I guess if I see any signs of trouble, I'll tell him to knock it off."

The queen offered him a genuine smile, the first one he had seen from her. "I thank you for it, Andrew. I will be here waiting for either one or both of you to return. Have a safe trip."

"Thank you, mother."

With their goodbyes said, Elias led Andrew away from the castle doors and onto the path into town. The map Elias had shown him told him that they would be making their way through town, then into the forest. Andrew didn't mind having to walk through the buildings, though he did mind how quiet Elias had been the entire time they were in town.

People waved at them, some only glanced their way, and a few even said hellos, but none of that got acknowledged by Elias. Every step the prince took screamed determination, and while it was sort of nice to see how dedicated he was to getting Andrew home, it also made the air tense around them.

He had been perfectly fine before they left. Maybe the way his mother said goodbye to them upset Elias? Or maybe there was something that had upset the prince, and he just didn't want to say it because he didn't want to stop looking perfectly nice in Andrew's eyes.

Whatever the reason for his stiff walking was, Andrew didn't care for it, and the second they got through the weirdly narrow alleyways at the edge of town and made it to the tree line, he decided to say something to him.

"I know I haven't known you for a super long time, but from what I know about you, I can tell you're acting weird. Like, you've been quiet this entire time and I feel like you would have said something by now."

Elias continued walking for a few more beats of silence before he sighed and shrugged. "You're right, Andrew. I normally do speak more than this. But, you might find it funny to learn that I'm actually quite tired right now. I apologize if it makes me seem angry or disconnected, but I don't mean it in that way." He kicked a rock on the path, watching it roll away. "I try not to show it when I'm tired or not feeling well to others, but unfortunately this morning I am unable to do that."

"Really?" Andrew shook his head, adjusting the shawl on his shoulders so that the fabric wasn't bunched up around the straps of his bag. Elias hadn't asked for it back, and Andrew intended to keep it until he did. "I think with how much these people like you, they'd be totally fine with giving you space if you needed the time off. I mean, they keep up the act as strongly as you do, and I remember that festival from when I came in. They were all fawning over you like crazy. I think there's enough admiration there for you to occasionally be yawning in front of them."

"Huh. I guess so." Elias went quiet again after that, leaving them to listen to the sounds of nature.

Andrew once more wished he could have a speaker to play music to drown out the strange bird calls that echoed overhead, but he knew he would have no such luck. And even though Elias said he was just tired, a tension still hung in the air that Andrew wanted to get rid of. Music would solve that problem in no time since he was sure even Elias' make-believe act wouldn't be immune to a good beat.

There was no way of getting a speaker, though, and Andrew certainly wasn't about to start singing. He had to think of something to snap Elias out of his funk.

Or did he?

Why would he try to make better friends with someone he was going to leave soon? Elias had been nothing but nice to him and always made sure Andrew was comfortable, but if he started to return the gesture, it might be misread. The prince might think that he wanted to stay there with him and spend his days being doted on in the castle. Some people would find that ideal, but Andrew needed his alone time, and there was no way he'd stay sane if he had Elias around all the time.

Still, Andrew couldn't shake the pit in his stomach from growing when he looked over and saw Elias not smiling.

Without thinking any more about it or saying a word, Andrew reached out and grabbed the prince's hand. Surely holding his hand for comfort wouldn't be enough to make him think that there would be any ideas of Andrew staying.

Elias didn't slow their pace or acknowledge it out loud either, but Andrew could see a small smile creep onto his face. The tension began to melt away, and the two continued on deeper into the forest, Andrew hoping that saying goodbye wouldn't be too hard on the prince.

                                                                                        ~~~

A/N: OooOOoohhhHhh what will they find in the woods? 👀