Meeting a Fairy With the Dragon Prince?!

Trees. Trees. And more trees. All Andrew could do to entertain himself was look around, but he could only see bark and leaves. Elias had eventually brightened up, the tiredness washing away and his sluggish steps turning into a confident stride, but that did nothing to keep Andrew entertained.

"Perhaps we should take a break soon?" Elias hadn't let go of Andrew's hand while they walked, keeping him close and helping him not trip over any roots or rocks. "We've been walking for a little over an hour now, so I think it's a good stopping point."

Andrew stopped abruptly and groaned. "Thank god, I'm totally fine with that. Also, how can you possibly know that we've been walking for that long? Are you hiding a watch on you, or something?"

Elias laughed, bringing Andrew over to a large stone and helping him sit on it. "No? I just keep track of where the sun has moved to. It's a little hard to learn, but I've been doing it for years, so it comes more naturally to me now."

"Right, of course, the sun." Andrew took in a deep breath, his legs suddenly aching, as if resting reminded them of how much they had just moved. "If I do end up coming back with you, I think I'd like another soak in the hot springs. And if I make it home, I'm going to take the hottest bubble bath known to man. Or I'll be brave enough to drive to a sauna."

"A bubble bath or sauna," Elias repeated with a laugh. "Sometimes the things you say are both confusing and entertaining." The prince spread his wings, giving them a few flaps. "You seem very tired. I'm much more awake now, I wouldn't mind flying us part of the way if you wouldn't mind the heights."

Andrew waved his hand at him while shaking his head. "Listen, I didn't exactly work out back home, so a hike is going to take me a while to do. But you're not getting me back in the air with whatever weird machine you're trusting enough to keep us up there. I barely trust airplanes, and there's no way your fantasy trinkets are more sturdy than one of those. I'd rather deal with my heavy breathing on the ground, thanks."

Elias leaned against the tree closest to Andrew. "If you don't want to fly, then we don't have to. We'll make it out to the other edge of the forest just fine by walking."

"Good, 'cause that's what I plan on doing. Even if it is more physical than I'd like it to be." Andrew wanted to sit in silence for a little while to catch his breath, and thankfully Elias seemed to want the same.

While taking his time to breathe, Andrew realized how fresh the air there was compared to back home. No matter where he walked home, he could smell a hint of the city or the fumes of a car. There, though, he hadn't noticed any of that. No toxic clouds of exhaust, cigarette smoke, or industrial waste hung in the air.

Andrew took in a slow, deep breath to appreciate it. How far from civilization were they that he couldn't smell any of that? Would a walk to the other side of the forest actually bring him close enough to a town or city to make it home?

"Wow! A dragon! And a... What are you?"

A high-pitched voice startled Andrew off the rock. He landed on his ass, which was, apparently, hilarious to the new person who decided to invade their peaceful break.

"Not very graceful, it seems. Huh, looks like a person, but..."

Andrew scoffed as he picked himself up, brushing off his pants and looking for the intrusive guest. "Excuse me, I'm right here! Don't talk about me like I'm not. And I'll have you know that-" He paused when his eyes landed on the source of the voice.

Most of the small creature was covered in a green light, but Andrew could make out the figure of a small person hidden in it. It wasn't much bigger than a softball, but its voice projected as if it were full-sized.