Chapter 6~Della

Pansy shakes me awake. "Get up, sleepy head! We're gonna be late for class!" 

I mumble something even I don't catch, and sit up slowly, rubbing my eyes. My trunk and other belongings were taken up to the dorm by servants while the sorting and welcoming feast were going on, so I have all my stuff. I turn on the lamp on my bedside table and slide off the bed.

It's just me and Pansy in our dorm. Usually there's at least five to a dorm, but most of the other girls have separate ones.

 I shuffle around in my trunk for fresh clothes and grab the same kind of outfit I adorned yesterday. I leave the dorm last, still yawning, and walk into the hallway between the separate dorms for each year of girls. I follow the slow stream of them down the stairs and duck into the bathroom for a shower. I pull off my pajamas and fold them neatly on the counter and slip into the shower in my underwear. I'm not quite comfortable enough here that I'll walk around the bathroom in nothing. I pull off my bra and underwear and toss them back with the rest of my stuff. A fresh white towel waits readily for me on a hook in the shower stall.

I take a long, hot shower, and scrub every inch of myself with the soap and shampoo I brought from home. At last, I feel clean, and slip out of the shower stall in my towel. I duck into a toilet stall to change.

People tell me I always smell like vanilla and laundry detergent. If that's a good thing, I'm not sure. I don't have the energy to blow dry my hair, so I pull it back wet into two long, even darker red braids down my back. I pull out a couple strands to frame my face, and borrow some makeup from one of the other girls to get rid of the bags under my eyes and add some color to my pale face. After ten minutes of adjusting my appearance, I conclude I look fine and stroll out of the bathroom into the common room to look for someone to go to breakfast with. I find Theo sitting on a couch, fiddling with his hair in a mirror across the room.

"Morning," I say tiredly, plopping down next to him.

"Hey gorgeous," he smiles.

"Oh piss off," I grin. I'm not really mad.

"Someone woke up grumpy today," he says, sweeping his long brown hair out of his eyes.

"Yeah, yeah. Where are the others?" I ask, tucking a loose strand of his hair behind his ear so it stops covering his blue eyes.

"They already went up. Told them I'd wait for you," he says.

"Let's go then," I say, standing up and offering him my hand to pull him up from the couch. He takes it like it's as natural as breathing and doesn't let go. Suddenly I feel little flutters in my chest. Stop it, I tell myself.

We start off down the hallways. When we get close to the great hall, I let go of his hand and stride to the table. We sit down with the others.

"Took you long enough," Draco says.

"Relax a little, Draco. You're starting to act like a responsible little Ravenclaw," Enzo laughs.

I grab a box of cereal and pour myself a generous bowl. I didn't each much yesterday, and now I'm famished. 

"Huzzah, here come our new schedules." Theo points to Snape walking down the benches, handing out schedules. 

I'm nervous to see what I get placed in. I don't want to be alone in my classes, like I have been for so long.

Snape slowly works his way down towards us until finally, "Let's see... Yes, Nott, Berkshire, Zabini, Riddle, and the Malfoys." He passes us each a blank schedule and with a wave of his wand, words appear indicating our itineraries. 

"I've got Transfiguration first period, then History of Magic, Charms, Divination, Herbology, then Lunch, Care of Magical Creatures, Defense Against the Dark Arts, and last period I've got Potions," I say.