The Nocturnal Equinox Celebration Prt. I

Vera's P.O.V.

Tonight was the night that I decided that I would try to grow closer with her family members. I wanted to get to know more about her and her siblings. Orion, Athena Serene, Vesper, and Lysander. I looked around the closet, which slowly became my own, and I started adding dresses and dresses over the months I'd been here. It wasn't only just dresses in this closet.

It was also tights, crop tops, tank tops, and shorts. Whatever I wanted, Asta got me. It was nice actually to have her around. I grew used to not having to defend myself every day. I became content with my way of living at the auction house before I knew I would be free. I never thought that I would be free in some way. I never will be. His mark will always be on me. My hand went to my neck and gently rubbed the scars he gave me.

I sat back on the bed and gazed into the closet as Asta stormed into the room, upset. What's wrong?

Asta tossed her shirt over her head into the laundry bin. "Well, you see, my family is deciding to go through with the stupid fucking plan that I told them not to do. Of course, they won't listen to me or listen to my reasons. So you don't have to support them and ensure nothing goes wrong. Besides that, we have to start preparing for the nocturnal Equinox celebration. It will be a celebration, and I'm happy to have you here this year."

Ah, yes, the nocturnal Equinox celebration. It was something that they did year-round and marked the seasons for them from cold to hot. It has been pretty hard recently, so getting some warm weather will finally be nice.

I'm very curious about Asta and her past. I knew very little about her and wanted to know her more. However, I've learned that her lips are very loose when drunk. So, I think I will try to use that to my advantage later just to know more about her, nothing else. She had mentioned once before that she had a consort before me. I'm interested in that. I wonder who he was. I wonder why she doesn't talk about him. Something terrible must have happened, for sure.

That's when she turned her head towards me, and I got up and started going through my closet again. I did not notice her as she walked behind me and hugged me. I was surprised, but I hugged back. It was nice to be touched in a way that wasn't violent, in a way that didn't hurt. I got dressed into a black gothic dress that I was allowed to wear, with matching ripped thigh highs and black heels and knees. I could never afford the fancy high heels, yet here I was wearing them in a castle I lived in now with the royal family. I never thought I would be here in this situation.

Once I was dressed, I sat on the bed and waited for Asta to get dressed. She didn't take nearly as long as I did. I always wanted to make sure everything looked perfect when I wore it. Getting things to match my hair and eyes was hard because they would contrast with everything.

She had gotten dressed in a basic black and white tuxedo. I always liked it when she wore those; they made her look very fancy. I stood up and gently tugged on the sleeve of her arm, and she looked towards me. I pressed my lips into hers, kissing her softly. She kissed back and wrapped her arms around my waist.

Then it was time to leave. We walked down and out into the gardens where most festivals were held. At least, that's what I was told. It was all fancy. There were tables in the middle of the garden; I'd never noticed this until now. But a sigil on the floor is used for ritual. I'll take a note of it to ask Asta later. I pulled out my notepad, the new one that I got from Asta. As I promised her, I threw away my old one and got a new one. Well, she got it for me. It was very different from the old one in that it had much more black and a red stream in the middle of it. It's like what you would put in the placeholder of the book you were reading. It was like a ribbon. So, I drew a little sketch of this sigil that I saw on the floor. And I wrote a note under it. Ask Asta later.