Children - Chapter 5

Speer exited the train, he was now in Nancy. Or as its known today. Ordenprovinz-Nanzig. He looked around at the station, oddly quiet. Well, this was Burgundy. What did he expect from this place anyways? He exited the station, taking in the environment. It was mildly raining, the old 40's road being wet up. Speer looked around at the buildings, everything was in the style of the 40's. The buildings of what used to be France. He remembers these same buildings from 12 years ago. When the French surrendered in the mainland. Its like the people now running this place don't even care about the infrastructure. The buildings looked just as dirty as the drenched road. Speer continued walking, he wanted to leave this place as soon as possible. The rain didn't bother him as much as the silence of this place did. It was quiet...Oddly quiet. He circled around streets, trying to find any signs of life. He was met with closed shops, or Burgundian officers staring intensely at him. He was now wondering if anyone even inhabited these buildings. Maybe Speer was just over-analyzing things. After all, this place was none of his business. He just came to talk with Burgundy. But he just couldn't shake the eerie feeling of loneliness... As minutes passed by, the rain started clogging. 1 inch of the road had already been flooded. Speer was disgusted at the ineffectiveness of these outdated, old roads. But he continued nonetheless. Minutes went by. Minutes turned into more minutes. And eventually hours. It had been 3 hours. He was finally in front of the Ordenstaat building. He looked around, the other buildings were minuscule compared to this one. Speer found it almost...amusing how polished this singular building looked, yet the rest of the town was rusted and outdated. Speer sighed, knocking on the marble door of the building. A Guard from the other side opened it. Here goes nothing...Speer sighed. As he set foot in the building. Don't get Speer wrong, it looked...beautiful. Chandilers and several other lights fancily decorated the place. It was just the abundance of armed SS-troops which made him nervous. He went all eyes on him. Usually that would be a good thing... But here it just felt eerie... There he was, Speer, himself. Standing in front of the door to Burgundy's chamber. He...didn't want to knock. His arm didn't want to raise itself. Speer sighed. Somehow, he gained the composure to knock. One. Two. Three. That's how far his arm was willing to go.

"Come in." Was the only response he got.

Speer breathe a sigh of relief. He grabbed the door handle. Here goes nothing. Speer quickly entered the room, closing the door behind him. He looked forward...and there he was. Sitting at his desk. Reichsfuhrer-SS himself. Burgundy. Speer felt the cold, purple eyes glancing at him. Staring right through him. Saying Speer was nervous would be a understatement. "Ah, Herr Speer! Long time no see, old friend!" Burgundy's frown turned into a smile once he saw Speer. Speer thought Burgundy might've forgotten him by now. Apparently not. "Hello, Burgundy." Speer spoke back in a monotone voice, trying to keep a smile on his face. Burgundy chuckled. "Let me guess, Reich send you because he couldn't come here himself?" Burgundy asked. Speer just hesitantly nodded. "You know he's sick and old, right?" Speer asked. "Yeah... Shame, really. He used to be so vigorous and now...? He's just a frail old man." Burgundy spoke out, his voice having both a tone of harshness and pity. Speer not knowing what else to reply with, just nodded. "Ah, come on, Speer! That's no way to talk to an old friend!" Burgundy was almost encouraging an conversation. "Sorry... I don't really know what to say here." Speer responded, trying to stay respectful. Burgundy just smirked to himself. "You never changed Speer, you never did..." Burgundy said in a playful tone. As he spun the globe-ball that was present on his desk.He didn't seem to take this seriously at all. Speer just looked at Burgundy with a face of dissatisfaction and even disgust. "Listen, Burgundy...I wanna get straight to business." Speer responded. Burgundy nodded. "Mhm, go on." Speer just frowned. "Reich has send me here to talk about the Restoration law--" Burgundy slammed his palm on the desk, the loud noise made Speer jump back. "So, that's why the old man send you here...He truly has lost his mind." Burgundy snapped. Speer just remained silent. "Speer, listen, i like you. So, i will give you a pass. But if you come to me with that heretical nonsense about 'Reworking' the Nuremburg laws, then get out of my face." Burgundy chided. "But why do you think they don't rights?! Aryans and Non-aryans not being able to co-exist together makes no sense! We were after the judens! why cant-" Burgundys eyes glanced at Speer's.

"Why? Why? I'll tell you why, they are Heretical, Selfish, Jealous subhumans. Take those French bastards for example- they tore our country after the first weltkrieg! They humiliated us, tore our rightful land. All because of Elsac and Lothingren! And now that we gain those back...Suddenly its inhumane?!" Burgundy tyraded insults. "Revenge is no excuse for--" Speer felt a cold shiver down his neck, he didn't dare to finish that sentence. "The British, The Americans, The Russians. They all...They all betrayed us! From the Catalones of the west to the Slavic Scum of the east...None wanted to see our glory. We were destined to gain those lands, and in the end? We did...We did gain them. And now they're afraid, that their Heretical schemes of Judeo-Bolshevik domination can now never be realized. Their filthy jewish race will never be realized as long as i live..." Burgundy panted, his throat tired from all the screaming and shouting. And, Speer just stood there...Silent in shock. Burgundy took a second before responding. "Jewish...Belgian...French...Dutch...American and Russian..."  Burgundy followed up. "There's very little difference between them." Burgundy followed. "And the italians and the japanese? They soon will become traitors to the Aryan race aswell..." Burgundy ended it there. Waiting for Speer's response. "...What? are you suggesting we go to war with italy and ja--" "No." Burgundy cut him off. "I have better things to do than that." Speer just nodded. "Listen, Speer, We all love this earth. And if we want it to live. We need to cure it by getting rid of Non-Aryans. As long as these heretics exist, Earth will continue to suffer from the Jewish plague." This just sounded like a conspiracy theory to Speer at this point, but what else could he reply with other than silence? Speer wanted to speak out, say something. But he also didn't want a bullet to his head. "Their leaders and their decayed ideology is only gonna break this earth further." Burgundy finished. "I see..." Was all Speer said. "Well...I" Speer didn't find the courage to say anything, plus even if he did. It's not like Burgundy will listen. Speer himself was starting to question...No, he will not be brainwashed by this psychopath. "Well...Burgundy it's been nice meeting you, but i think this conversation is going nowhere...if you don't mind, i must be heading now." Speer responded. Burgundy looked him down for a few seconds, his intentions unclear. "Go." Was all Burgundy responded with. Speer left the building. His hands felt cold, his lips curled open. "...Fuck." He muttered to himself. What did he just get himself into...? Speer was already feeling depressed, and now this shit? Speer, didn't want to think about this. He didn't want to think at all really. It stung him in the head, bad. It stung bad. Speer sighed. Barely managing to walk. Speer walked along the sidewalk for felt like hours. Speer looked to his left to be met with wired fences. To his right was abandoned houses. And above him was just a sad sky. He was starting to think of Berlin as heaven compared to this. Speer continued walking through the sidewalk, he heard a groan from his left. He looked at the Wired fence. He saw a large field, the rain had caused mud to rise up. In the middle of the field was a re-correction camp, or a concentration camp as its known in the States. Next to it was a dirty lake. Speer just stared at field, his eyes eventually caught something. Two French children, shoveling mud into the river. Speer had nothing better to do, so he decided to keep on watching.

"Victor, don't we have better things to do other than shovel mud?" One of the boys spoke, whilst also shoveling. "Well, Charles, if we want to live, we have to meet the work quotas." Victor replied to Charles. Both of the shovels just gravelled across the mud. Any scoop's being thrown into the river. "Charles, what was france like before the Allemagne-Occupation?" Victor suddenly asked. Charles turned to face Victor, Charles being slightly caught off-guard. "Well...If I'm being honest, Victor, I can't really say, The Republic is nothing but a distant memory now..." Both of them continued shoveling the mud. After what must've been half an hour, one of the Burgundian guards open the sector-gate to check on them. "Have you both cleaned out the dirt?" The man asked. "No sir...There's more mud than we originally thought." Victor replied. Charles nodding. "So what? You couldn't do the simple task of shoveling mud?!" The guard yelled at the two kids. For some reason, the yelling stung Speer aswell. "Poor fucking kids..." Speer muttered to himself. Continuing to watch. The two kids stood back, as the guard examined the field. While yelling curses at the boys. "If you cant even shovel mud then how do you expect to be worth any value?!" The guard chided the two boys. His baton raising, threatening to strike any of them at any moment. "Answer me!" The guard demanded. "W- we're sorry sir-" Victor tried to speak, the hard Baton slammed down on his, he fell on his back. He screamed holding his head. Charles flinched, shocked and scared. "Get up!" The guard demanded. Victor stood up, clenching his fists in pain. "What are you..." The guard asked, a harsh tone still present in his voice. "I- i'm...a-" Victor tried properly formulating a sentence, but he stuttered. The Guard slammed his baton against Victor's stomach, Victor managed to stay on his feet, biting down on his lips to not scream. Charles remained silent, scared for both of their lives. "What are you?" The guard asked again. "I'm a..." Victor felt the Baton against his leg this time. "Say it louder!" "I'm a slave!-" The baton raised down on his shoulder, ungodly loud crack sound. The baton kept denouncing him. "I'm a slave to the Aryan race!" Victor practically shouted, Those words poked Speer in a very...very wrong way. The guard harshly nodded. "That's right." He forced Victor to look at him. "That's what you are, a worthless slave for our race." He sternly slapped Victor in the face. The boy's body was now covered in bruises. "Get back to work, if i come back to see an inch of dirt here again, i will end both of your pathetic lives." The Burgundian officer left. Victor collapsed, his feet not being able to support his weight anymore. Charles ran over to Victor.

All while Speer only watched. He sighed, horrible...truly horrible. They should be ashamed to even put this camp out in the open like this. But then again, Who is here to watch these atrocities. Speer watched as the boy helped his friend up. He knew it's unlikely that they'll manage to survive and live for long. Speer wanted to do something, but right now? Well...He was powerless to do anything really. Speer checked his watch. He'd be late if he didn't catch his train now. Speer knew one thing for sure though, once he gets back to Berlin. He will do something about these camps...Speer ran back to the station. Catching his train back to Berlin. It would be a understatement to say that Speer will not miss this place...But something is telling Speer that this won't be the last time he has to meet this place to place. God has left this place, that's what Speer knows for sure though. He's feeling particularly tired...He might just take a rest. Everything seems so...Blurry. Speer closes his eyes. And takes a rest.

Charles continued to shovel the dirt. He knew Victor wasn't in the physical shape to shovel any more. As he was shoveling the dirt, he saw a train. A train moving for Germany. He couldn't help but smile. "See that, Victor?" Charles asked. Victor looking over. "When we're old enough...we'll be released and we'll get to go to Paris, or even Berlin! who knows..." Charles reminisced about the future. Victor just chuckled. "That's assuming if the guards keep their word..." Victor also smiled at the thought. "Don't be so pessimistic now, Victor!" Charles said, shoveling more mud and dirt. Victor looked at the sky. "Maybe you are right, maybe i should hope. Maybe One day we'll be able to go to Berlin or Paris..."

"Maybe one day..."
-
WELL, your probably asking. "Wait wasn't this supposed to be like 5000 words?" and you are right, this was supposed to be 5000 words. but i decided to cut this into 2 parts, this is the first 2000 words, and the next chapter will be the remaining 3000 words. im sorry if you were expecting a mega chapter. But i think this way, i could write this more effectively. and its easier for both you and me to digest.
ALSO, sorry for the chapter being extremely dark and sad. especially at the end, i got carried away. Lmao, anyways. Hope you had uh, somewhat fun reading this. It is probably hard to have fun reading this lmao. So, uh, Yeah. Have a Good day/night.