12

Three months later

Well Michael figured out it would be a disadvantage to me to move to Italy when I had three months to graduate highschool and so he enrolled me at a different highschool still in Carli. At least I got three friends there who openly knew I was gay and were cool with it. After graduation, we had to move to Italy and that's where we stayed since then. I got a chance to see mom frequently before I graduated and I would like to think she is doing better. I had to see therapists so that I could accept that I wasn't at fault for my mother's abusive nature. It also made me realize how much I needed some time out away from her.

Michael and the boys had been a great family for me, although Chris still hated me and it seemed like it got worse the more I stayed. Michael had not found it in him to tell his older sons yet about his sexuality and I was cool with it. I would not out him if he was not ready, I knew how that turns out from experience. We were seated near the back yard pool all eight of us sipping smoothies. The boys had gone to stay with their grandparents for one month but I had stayed in America. I had never met their grandparents yet and I was hoping they would like me.

"So, Arnold, we wanted to inform you of the annual Miguel charity event." Said Michael looking at me.

I nodded. "OK what is it about?" I asked.
"Girls." Dennis chimed in earning a glare from his whole family.
"Its about us giving charity to orphanages and schools in Italy..." Said Michael. I nodded and slurped my smoothie.

"And a lot of our business associates show up in most occasions." Said Blake.
"We wanted to know if you are comfortable being among the main guests?" Asked Michael.

"What do the main guests do?" I asked. Ben scratched his neck.

"Nothing really, they just sit there looking pretty." He said. "And give out a hundred million dollars to charity..." He mumbled the last part.

"Don't worry about that, I will give you the money, it is just a way to introduce you to the business." Said Michael. My eyes widened.

"You're gonna hand me a hundred million dollars to introduce me to a business? Excuse my nosiness but what sort of business has such an expensive initiation?" I asked. They looked at each other and Michael sighed.

"Listen Arnold, we wanted to wait till you turn eighteen to tell you this but you might as well know. That is before a blabbermouth spits it out to you by mistake in the charity event." Said Michael and I nodded I was getting pretty nervous as their expressions turned serious in a matter of seconds, but from my experience with this family, I knew it was normal for them, I even once suggested Blake to be checked for being bipolar.

"Have you heard of Mafias?" Asked Michael. I smiled and nodded. It wasn't favourite topic in history.

"Well ever heard of the Michika Italian mafia?" Asked Michael. I tried to recall the name. I wasn't that good in school honestly.

"Yeah i think they are the largest? Am not so sure." I said embarrassed I couldn't even remember one fact about my favourite topic.

"Not the largest, the strongest. They have alliances all over the world and that's why they win most wars. They are also the sole providers of weapons and some drugs...." Said Michael and I nodded not sure how this related to my question.

"So you guys work for them or something?" I asked.

"Well, not really. We are the leaders of the mafia." Shrugged Michael. My eyes widened and before I knew it a laugh escaped my lips. Blake frowned as if hurt by my outburst but I kept laughing.

"You guys? Are the most feared mafia in the world?" I chuckled as Chris glared.

"Got a problem with that brat?" He glared and I immediately cowered in fear.

"No...its not that,,,I swear, I didn't mean to anger you. Its just, you guys are so nice and quiet. Its hard to imagine you head a mafia." I whimpered. Michael smiled at this.

"We are only nice to you because you are our precious treasure amore. We can't afford to lose you again." Michael was stroking my cheek with his thumb and I leaned in to the touch.

"So you guys kill people and stuff?" I asked.

"Well, we do more than that, we kill bad people. Think of it as a secret police service that helps the government out when they are at a dead end. We also contribute charities for schools and distribute stuff." He said and I grimaced.

"But i learn in school that mafias aren't entirely good people." I countered.

"Well that is true but there are different types. Ours is not a bad one, we do things legally but some of our enemies kill the innocent and do illegal stuff. Those ones are well known by people." He said and I nodded.

"Well that's cool, I guess I have the coolest family ever. Did mom know?" I asked And they looked away and nodded.

"Yeah she was also a princess of one of the American mafias." Said Blake. That's strange, how come mom didn't have money and we weren't rich?

"She spent all her money and someone who used her to get it. That's why she couldn't even afford rent." Ben read my thoughts. I nodded. That sounded like mom. She was sometimes the most naive person I knew.

"Well,now that you know, I hope you still want to stay with us." Said Michael and I smiled.

"Are you kidding? I made this decision and it seems like the best one I have made in years." I said and dad fondly smiled hugging me. All my brothers joined in the group hug and at that moment, I realized I didn't want anything more. God had given me everything I asked for. A family that loves me.

"OK you guys better go shop for suits, the event is in two months." Said Michael and we all nodded.

"Before i forget, The DeLuca family will be coming over tomorrow. I hope you all get along.". Said Michael as we all nodded. I did not even know who they were but it seemed they were close to my family so I was OK with it.