Sorting Ceremony

Professor McGonagall leads everyone through two large doors which go to the Great Hall, where there are four long tables with thousands of students, as well as floating candles. The roof appears to be the sky.

"It's not real, the ceiling. It's just bewitched to look like the night sky. I read about it in-"Hermione said.

"Hogwarts: A History. I know, I read it too."Matthias said.

"You did?"

Matthias nodded."I wanted to know more about the school I was going to attend."

McGonagall leads the first years to the front of a single stool where a raggy hat lies on it.

"All right, will you wait along here, please? Now, before we begin, Professor Dumbledore would like to say a few words."Professor McGonagall said.

An old man with a long beard and red robes rises from the main table.

"I have a few start-of-term notices I wish to announce. The first years, please note that the Dark Forest is strictly forbidden to all students. Also, our caretaker, Mr. Filch," He gesture to a ragged old man in the corner with his cat with red eyes."has asked me to remind you that the third-floor corridor on the right-hand side is out of bounds to everyone who does not wish to die a most painful death. Thank you."

"Seriously? Doesn't he realize that by saying that, everyone will be even more curious to see what's in the third-floor corridor?"Matthias groaned.

Professor McGonagall stands up and announces."When I call your name, you will come forth. I shall place the sorting hat on your head, and you will be sorted into your houses."

'Abbott, Hannah!'A pink-faced girl with blonde pigtails stumbled out of line, put on the hat, which fell right down over her eyes, and sat down. A moment's pause –'HUFFLEPUFF!' shouted the hat.

The table on the right cheered and clapped as Hannah went to sit down at the Hufflepuff table.

Rosalie and Matthias saw a ghost waving merrily at her.

"Bones, Susan!"

"HUFFLEPUFF!" shouted the hat again, and Susan scuttled off to sit next to Hannah.

"Boot, Terry!"

"RAVENCLAW!"

The table second from the left clapped this time; several Ravenclaws stood up to shake hands with Terry as he joined them.

"Brocklehurst, Mandy" went to Ravenclaw too, but "Brown,Lavender" became the first new Gryffindor and the table on the far left exploded with cheers; Rosalie and Matthias could see twin brothers catcalling.

"Bulstrode, Millicent" then became a Slytherin. Perhaps it was Rosalie's imagination, after all she'd heard about Slytherin, but she thought they looked an unpleasant lot.

She was starting to feel definitely sick now. She remembered being picked for teams during sports lessons at her old school. She had always been last to be chosen, not because she was no good, but because no one wanted Dudley to think they liked her.

A hand rests on her shoulder, startling her; she glances to her left and sees Matthias' worried gaze.

"Are you okay?"

She blushes slightly at his concern for her, but nods.

"Finch-Fletchley, Justin!"

"HUFFLEPUFF!"

Sometimes, Matthias noticed, the hat shouted out the house at once, but at others it took a little while to decide. "Finnigan,Seamus", the sandy-haired boy next to Matthias in the line, sat on the stool for almost a whole minute before the hat declared him a Gryffindor.