Why Not Me?

My mom let me come home after a week. So that means there's another week until Prom. I have my dress—a tight-fitted rose pearl Versace dress with a sweep train, an open diamond string back, and a modest slit. 

I've been to school daily because I've been living with a literal teacher. If you're wondering, she made me sleep in the guest room. I sit on my knees at the foot of my bed staring at my stash of weed. Should I throw it away in fear of it causing a problem with Angelique? Or do I keep it to handle the stress? Before I conclude, Kacy walks in.

"I just wanted to say I missed you and it's good to have you back." She says and leans against my door frame. 

"Thanks. Wanna see the dress I got?" She nods with a sweet smile and walks over to her room. I wonder where she went until she comes back with a white box. 

"Show me yours and I'll show you mine." I laugh and stand up to walk to my closet. My stash stays on my bed. 

"Here. A friend got it for me after the incident." I hold it to my body and watch as my sister admires it. 

"It's gorgeous. It suits you so well." She touches the fabric. 

"Ok, so mine." She opens the box and pulls out a navy blue loose-fit, mid-length metallic gown with thin straps. I chuckle when I see how our dresses go with our personalities. 

"It suits you. I love it." I say as we stand up to hug each other. 

"I missed you," I exclaim. 

                                                                              *   *   * 

After we talk for a bit and she leaves my room, I'm ashamed of everything I accused her of. I love my sister and don't think she'd do the awful things I said. 

Since I left Mrs. Sanchez's house, she hasn't called me. She wasn't at school on Friday and even the first two days before that, she treated me like a regular student. I was praying to myself that something wasn't happening. I prayed that she wouldn't go back on her promise. I sigh to myself and open back up my stash. Maybe a couple of edibles and one last blunt won't hurt. 

                                                                              *   *   *

Kacy and I pull into the school parking lot on prom night. The same old bullshit happened with Mrs. Sanchez this week. She acted like I was the same as the nerds and losers at our school. I tried to ask her If I could stay after school and she decided to say she was too busy. The whole week went past in what felt like a year of anguish and rejection. But, I was ready to see her tonight in the beautiful red dress she showed me. 

"Ready?" Kacy asks and it feels like Mrs. Sanchez's first day all over again. 

"Yeah, Let's go." I sigh and nod as we walk out of the car and to the entrance. We gave them our tickets, I'm sure it looked weird for the hottest girl at school to not have dates. We chose to come together. We could literally have anyone we want as dates but we've spent enough of this year apart and want to spend an overrated 'high school memory' together. 

Once we walk in, my eyes wander the room. The lights are flashing red and blue as hopeless teenagers dance away the fact that they'll spend the rest of their lives in an unhappy marriage with kids they secretly hate. 

I look over to see where Kacy has wandered off to and I see her. Her. Not Kacy, not any of my girlfriends, but her. My lifeline. She's in conversation but pauses when she catches a glimpse of me and we make eye contact. I can read the expression on her face. Longing. Her body is hugged beautifully by her dark red dress. Her long brown hair is curled to perfection. I want to run to her. I want to grab ahold of her hand and run away with her forever. I am deeply in love with you, Angelique.