Chapter 58

POV Katsuki

It was the first time in a long time that Katsuki had been assigned to night patrols. Normally their agency operated in daylight, as their quirks were usually too conspicuous for underground missions.

That night, Kiri, Sero and he had mainly broken up bar fights and thwarted a few assaults. The most exciting had been the thugs who had tried to blow up an ATM. The police had arrested the perpetrators and taken them away.

It was now just after 3 o'clock in the morning. Now they were on their way back to the agency. Only the mission reports and paperwork left over from the day separated the blond alpha from a few hours of sleep before he could rejoin Izuku at the hospital.

He missed sharing a bed with his mate, missed his scent, his warmth, his smile and the nightly whispered conversations between them. Fortunately, the end of this week was already in sight. They had already completed half of the recovery phase in hospital.

They had almost reached their goal. While Sero and Kiri had been talkative at the beginning of the night and had annoyed Katsuki with their chatter, they were now both rather quiet, almost silent, just like their surroundings. At this time of night, even the villains seemed to be asleep. The streets they were walking through were deserted.

The alpha looked over his shoulder at the two, who were not only his teammates, but also his best friends. Sero was yawning profusely and Kiri had visible dark circles under his eyes. Hopefully the redhead wouldn't look like Brainfucker by the end of the week - not that Pikachu would accidentally mistake him for his partner.

Katsuki cleared his throat. "I tell you far too seldom, but ... thank you."

Kiri immediately looked up and Sero choked on a yawn. The redhead patted him sympathetically on the shoulder.

As soon as he had caught his breath, he pinched his arm demonstratively and asked: "Did I hear wrong or did Bakugou really just say that, Eijiro?"

The man addressed grinned all over his face and spread his arms. "Awww! We love you too, Kat. Give us a hug!"

The blonde growled. "And you wonder why I so rarely have kind words for you when I get made fun of as soon as they cross my lips." If he wasn't wearing his hero costume, he would have buried his fists in his trouser pockets.

Kiri put an arm around his shoulders and Sero joined them both. The extras were still grinning stupidly.

"Oh, come on, Kat. Don't be offended now," the redhead said.

"Right, we're happy to help. Besides, it's been ages since our last night shift. It's obvious that you'd rather be off during the day at the moment. How is Midoriya?" Sero asked.

"He came through the surgery without any complications and had a visit from his friends today. From that point of view, everything is fine. I miss him terribly, but everyone at the hospital is taking good care of him."

Kiri hummed thoughtfully. "Sounds good, I'm happy for Midobro. Are we allowed to visit him too or will you get snappy again?"

Katsuki snorted. "He was happy about the other extras, so fine by me."

"Great! Then I'll ask Mina when it's convenient for her," the redhead replied, beaming with joy.

"Just don't ambush Izu all at once. Too many people at once will overwhelm him. Besides, it'll distract him better if you come over the course of the day," the blond replied.

"What does he need to be distracted from?" Sero asked.

Katsuki glanced back and forth between his friends. He stopped at Kiri and said to him, "A box turned up at the hospital this morning."