Chapter 25

Alex's POV

"I don't even know why you want to play with me." I told Starfire, moving a pawn out of danger. I think. "I'm not that good."

Starfire only smiled, sitting across from me as she moved the wooden horse and took my last bishop, making me scowl as I tapped my finger against my arm. "I enjoy your company, little wolf." I thought for a moment before moving my rook. "Is that so wrong?"

I grumped under my breath, crossing my arms over my chest pouting as I watched as she won. Yet again. For the fifth time. "It is when you keep beating me."

Starfire laughed, resting her chin on her palm, staring at me. "Let's play a different game like Uno or goldfish. I don't under stand this one. It's too confusing."

"Chess is a game of strategy. Many Rulers like to use it for battle." I tilted my head confused. Why? "It helps understand real battle. What best moves you should make and what sacrifices to make if need be." It's like she can read my mind.

I don't know much about Starfire. She just likes to play chess and talk to me about random things. I like her company, but at the back of my mind, I feel this small urge to...run?

It's weird.

"Starfire, I have a question." The red headed woman hummed, putting away all the chest pieces. "Why do you like to spend time with me? You don't know me that well. For all you know, I could be an assassin."

She chucked, shaking her head. "Like I said, little wolf. I enjoy your company." A knock came from the door. We turned our attention towards a maid wheeling in a cart with small desserts and tea.

"I brought desserts and refreshments, just like you asked, my lady." Starfire smiled. "Ah, thank you. Bring them over."

Wheeling the cart over to us, the maid started putting everything onto the table where Starfire and I were just playing chess.

I saw the maid glaring at me in the corner of her eye but ignored it. No reason to cause a fuss.

When she was pouring my tea, my nose twitched when smelling cinnamon. I'm not a fan of cinnamon. Guess Starfire could tell since she noticed the look of disgust on my face. "Let's switch. I'm in the mood for something different anyways." I smiled at that.

"Okay." As we swap our drinks, I noticed that the maid looked angry but was trying to hide it. Gripping the cart tightly with gritted teeth, her glaring worsen. "You're dismiss."

Quickly turning away, the maid rushed out. I looked back at Starfire with a confused look, who shrugged, still smiling at me. "Must be a busy day. Now, have you even played checkers."

I grinned hearing that. Checkers is a much easier game that I played plenty of times with anyone that was available. "You're on."

Third Person POV

"What do you mean, you failed!?" A man yelled through the phone, the maid from earlier on the other end, hiding in a corner with the phone close so no one else could hear.

"The stupid red dragon queen swap their drinks, master. The poison has no effect against dragons, it's meant for werewolves." She whispered, looking behind her to see if anyone was watching her.

The maid turned back, hearing her master angrily groaned in annoyance before the sound of his fist slam against his desk was heard. "Bring me that girl or you will pay for you mistake."

She gulped, slightly shaking as she answered. "Yes master." He didn't even say anything else before hanging up. Letting out a small sigh, the maid slip the phone back into her pocket and turned around only to see a couple of angry guards standing there. Her eyes widened.

"Follow us."

-