V1. Chapter 10 - I Like it Cold

(I have a question... Is it common to get a coincidence happen to you from your own story? This happened quite a lot of times before. But, I got a light fever last night right after an hour had passed since I published the last chapter. If you remember, Sora got a light fever too...)

Sora's POV:

I was casually scrolling through the library after excusing myself from the study group. I had to return the novel I borrowed before. I looked through the shelf to get a new one. This time, the book that caught my attention was 'The Boys Detective Club' by Edogawa Ranpo. I knew about him because of 'Kogoro Akechi' which had quite an interesting plot. So, I'd be lying if I said I'm not expecting much from this one. I was slowly turning into his fan. Edogawa Ranpo, pen name, and his real name is Edgar Allan Poe. I'd agree that it was quite a unique way to create your pen name. 

As I was looking through the reference books I could suggest the others in our groups, my ears caught on something. "You must focus more on Japanese history, Himeno San" I glanced over to my right on the back to find some students from class B studying. It was Ichinose San and Kanzaki San. He nodded at her statement. "I agree. The midterms won't be as forgiving as the mock test. Also, do refer to this material too. Skimming through this one should be enough to at least let you score higher than the class' average of 41."  He said while passing a material that had topics that weren't for the midterms. Also... The theory about my class average calculation is correct as well. Good thing I warned Sudou San about it beforehand. 

I had no choice but to observe them more to understand the topics of the book. That book looked identical. It was one of the materials I referred to in the first week of my stay here. And I was now pretty sure that something was wrong since these particular topics weren't included in the list that Sensei introduced to us. The good thing was we had already covered most of the topics and these were included in them too. However, I wasn't sure of Sudou San's group. 

I went to our table and grabbed my phone. I walked towards Hirata San. "Hirata San, could you take care of their doubts while I'm gone?" He nodded at me with a smile. "Sure. Is something wrong Takahashi Kun? If you're not feeling well... why don't you return to your room?" I shook my head at him. "There seems to be an issue with the topics we were given. I'm going to ask Sensei about it. Please inform about this to Horikita San too." I said and left the library towards the faculty room.

There was still a lot of time until the teachers retired from their work for the day. I knocked on the door twice and heard a come-in. I opened the door and peeked in a bit to check if Hoshi Sensei was there. "Is that you, Takahashi Kun? Don't worry about Chie. She retired early today." Somehow, Sensei always understood that it was me whenever I came to the faculty room. "Excuse me then, Sensei." I said before stepping into the room and closing the door behind me. 

"If you're wondering how I know it's you, no one peeks into the staffroom before stepping in. Honestly, that's quite a strange habit." She said from her desk working on some of her notes. "...That's for my own safety reasons, Sensei." She nodded at me without looking away from her notes. "I understand. Do you mind keeping it short? I'm in the middle of something." She said while glancing at me for a second before going back to her work. "The topics you informed us about the midterms, last week. Was there a mistake or were they changed in the due time?"I asked to which she suddenly stopped writing.

"... I'm sorry. I forgot to tell you guys. But, the topics covered on the test were changed last Friday." She apologized still busy with her work but quickly wrote down the new scope of the test and ripped off the paper handing it to me. The textbook pages on the paper were all the materials we had covered. I had them included as a summary in my notes too. "I see... so you forgot?" I asked her for confirmation. She just nodded without looking at me. "Yes. Thanks to you, I was able to notice my mistake." Sensei was still busy with her work. What is she working on this seriously?... Is there some kind of deadline?