Chapter Twelve

Kiyotaka Ayanokoji POV

"Have you heard? That Okami girl in 2-A  is gonna have a fencing duel with the new professor." A girl from class C whispered in the hallway.

"I heard he challenged her directly. I wonder if he's her old fencing master?"

"Maybe. He could want to see her progress if that's the case."

New professor? This late in the year? Something isn't right.

"Horikita, what do you think of Rin's situation?" I asked.

"I don't like it. As soon as the new professor got here, he went straight to Rin's hospital room and challenged her. I don't know the details but I think they made a wager." He explained. "I asked Okami directly but she wouldn't say anything. The doctors are fully against it because of her condition but she insisted she'd be fine."

"When will it be?"

"After classes tomorrow, the whole school will be invited to come watch. The invitation is going out this afternoon. All of the information will be sent to everyone."

Our phones beeped at the same time.

"It's been moved to today?" I asked. "They couldn't wait a day?"

"It's happening right now, let's go. Says it's mandatory." We walked together until we ran into Horikita.

"Since when are you two so close?" She asked.

"I had a question for him," I said. "Then we got the notification about the fencing duel being moved."

"I see. I have a question as well, did you know the new professor's name is Ayanokoji?" She asked.

"What?" My heart sank for a moment before my blood began to boil in my veins. Of course, that's why she didn't say anything to me. She has to know she doesn't stand a chance against him, so why? Why go through with this?

I couldn't tell what was going through her mind. What was she thinking? What was her goal? Sometimes it felt like she had multiple personalities the way she flipped between her goals and plans without saying a word. I knew one thing for certain, she wanted my father to be taken down, and that's why she came to me. She knew she couldn't do it alone. The question was why did she agree to the duel? What did that old man do to make her agree?

"The match is starting in a few minutes," Horikita said. "So, why is Okami there?" He pointed to the main entrance of the fencing hall.

"Rin?" I felt her flinch under my hand. "Why are you doing this?"

"I don't have a choice." She kept her voice low. "I'm sorry. I waited here to tell you that much. I have to finish getting ready now." She sprinted off to get her mask and weapon. The match began with silver flashes of their blades. Rin was faster than I expected her to be in her condition, but she still was no match for his speed or fencing experience. He hit her in three vital points, hard enough to bring her to her knees for a long moment. 

"Do you surrender?" The old man asked. 

"Never." She lunged from the ground straight up to his shoulder, hitting him in the same points he did. the match went on like that for several minutes until he hit her hard enough to knock the air from her lungs. She doubled over trying to breathe when he lunged a second time for the same spot. Rin barely managed to parry, her legs trembled under her weight.

"Surrender." He said.

"No." She finally caught her breath and attacked. The match looked to be close to over when her blade was knocked out of her hand. On her hands and knees without a blade, he attacked again but she rolled to the side, grabbed her blade, and forced it up removing his mask. The match dragged on for several more minutes until he asked on last time. 

"Surrender?" 

"No." The fierce look in her eyes caught his attention. 

"I surrender, your spirit is quite formidable I admit. You've earned this victory." He announced a mere moment before Rin collapsed. Both Horikita siblings and I ran to Rin's side, Rin's brother made it to her before us. 

"Rin! Wake up!" He gently lifted her to his chest. "Please be okay." 

A painstaking minute went by before her fingers twitched and she blinked a few times. 

"Takashi?" She whimpered. "I can't breathe." 

"Sorry!" He loosened his grip around her. 

"I'm okay. I'm sorry I worried you, that match took everything I had." She smiled before turning her attention to the old man. "Professor Ayanokoji... thank you." The old man gave her his fake smile and left us with a nod. 

"What was the deal between you?" I asked. 

"I'll tell you later." She hesitated. "For now, help me up. My legs don't want to work." I took her hand to help her stand but her legs gave out immediately. I hooked one arm around her waist and the other under her knees. 

"I'll carry you until you can walk. Where do you want to go?" 

"My dorm room, please." She buried her head in my neck.