Chapter 13

I was watching them practice when I got a phone call. It was from an unknown number. I quick got up and found a quiet place and answered th the phone. "Hello?" "Hello. Is this Katie Carsons?.....

"Hello?" "Hello. Is this Katie Carsons?" "Yes this is she" "I'm Jill Ellis" my body froze. I could not believe who I was talking to. "Im the head coach of the US womens soccer team" "oh trust me I know who you are!" She let out a laugh. "Okay thats good to know. So you're probably wondering why I called you. Well I had a few scouts go out and look for some real skill and determination to add to our team. I got some really positive feed back about you and I would love to see you play in person. I would like to give you the opportunity to try out for my team. How does that sound?" Oh my gosh I couldn't believe it. I'm going to get the chance to actualy try out to be on the US womens team! "Thats sounds awesome! Oh my goodness. I almost can't believe it!" I was practically jumping up and down screaming at this point. I think I might cry a little. "I'll email you the details and all the important stuff. I'm really looking forward to meeting you. See you soon" "Okay bye. Thanks so much!"
I hung up the phone and put it in my pocket I stood there for a second just lost in thought about what had just happend. It didn't feel real. I was soon brought back to reality when Brayden walked up to me still in all his gear. "Whats wrong? Are you okay?" He asked. I looked up at him then behind him to see the rest of the team stading there watching. I just jumped up and gave Brayden a huge hug and it hit me. This is really going to happen. All of my hard work has payed off to get me that much closer to what I have always dreamed of. I started to cry tears of joy. "I'm fine Brayden." "Then why are you crying" he said as he wiped a tear that trailed down my cheek. "I just got the best phone call of my life" "what happened?" "It was the head coach of the US womens soccer team. She wants me to try out for the team!" "Thats great! Im so happy for you!" He quickly gave me another hug. "I have to get back to practice we can celebrate after". He headed back onto the ice to join the rest of the team in there practice. I headed back to my seat and watched. I didn't pay much attention to practice, mostly because I was lost in thought too much to even pay any attention. I hadn't realised practice was over until a hand was waved in front of my face. I looked up to see Brayden smirking at me, already showered and dressed looking just as perfect as he always does. "You ready to celebrate?" "Of course. We are we going?" "There's a nice bar not to far from here. Me and the guys normally go to it after a big win. Some of the guys are going to meet us there. Does that sound okay to you?" "Sounds perfect! Lets get going!"
I pulled Brayden to the parking lot and we headed to the bar he was talking about. When we got inside some of the guys were already there. It was a nice place not too packed. You could tell it was a sports bar beacuse there were so may big flat screens hanging throughout the bar. Now this is my kind of bar. We ordered some drinks and found the others and hung out for a while. We all ordered one last drink so we had time to sober up before we had to go home. (Saftey first no drinking and driving) Brayden must have told all the guys about what happened because a not too sober Luke said raising his glass once we all got our drinks "Cheers to Katie on her new opportunity in life. Congrats and the best of luck to ya!" We all clinked glasses.
A short time later I sat at the bar with Brayden and Wayne. "I have to quick use the restroom. Ill be right back." Brayden said heading towards the bathroom. "So what are you and Brayden?" "What do you mean what are we? We are people. Why, are you an alien from outer space?" I made a really goofy shocked face at Wayne. I guess I might have had one too many drinks. He let out a little laugh. "No I'm not an alien so don't worry. But seriously what's going on between you and Brayden? Are you guys dating or what?" "I don't know. I mean I really do like him. He is a great guy I'm just not sure how he feels about me?" "Trust me. You don't have to worry about that. There are only two things he ever talks about and they are hockey and you. Give him a chance. You'll be happy if you do. I've known him even before we both we Flyers. We were pretty close back in LA. So trust me. You got a great shot with one of the best guys I know." "Okay that makes everything ten times better. I want to make everything official with him I just wasn't sure how he felt. Thanks for the reasurrance. I'll talk to him soon about it. Thank you." "No problem" "Hey what are you two talking about?" Brayden said coming back from the bathroom. "Nothing. I'm just being accused of being an alien which I am not." Wayne gave me a playful stern look. I let out a little giggle. That was pretty funny though. "I think you should get this one home. She might have celebrated a little to much" Wayne said with a smile. "Sounds like a good idea." Brayden said. He helped me through the parking lot and into his truck. Maybe I am a little drunk. Good thing he is not. I noticed he only drank a little then switched over to water about an hour and a half before we left. Glad one of us was responcible. "Do you want to stay at my apartment tonignt? I don' t know if you want to be alone in this state." He gave me a worried look. "That would probably be a good idea as long as you don't mind." "I don't mind at all I just wanted to make sure you are safe." "Thanks Bray it means a lot." "Bray huh? Is that my nickname now?" He quick smiled at me then turned back to the road. "Yup. I like it. Bray." "If you like it, I like it."