Ch. 19: Revenge of the Spider Queen - Part 1

Whether it was the sound of children's laughter that filled the air, or the buzz of positivity that laced the crowds and stalls—the night was full of life and festivities.

Lunar New Year.

A new year's event like no other.

I had often spent the Lunar New Year at Lanterns Rite in the Genshin Impact universe I had grown to love. In fact, I planned after my stay here for the next two seasons to go celebrate Lantern Rite with Zhongli, Aether, amongst everyone else in their universe.

I was at the beginning of season two in this series. One more season and then after the big fight with LBD—if that were to happen, I would be off to continue my personal life before coming back for Season 4.

It was just two seasons.

Two seasons and I could go home.

Obviously, it was still the weekend back home and would remain the weekend until I got back but until then, how about I have my fun?

Not a single peep or word of LBD since our last encounter but I knew she lingered in the shadows, she had to be.

Waiting, biding her time to strike.

I deflected her plan by taking the child who was safe in the arms of her parents. I had warned Bai He that night not to go wandering on her own like that, and after that situation, I helped her get her cat back and directed her back home.

I let out a soft sigh and pushed those thoughts back, centralizing my mind to the festivities around me. It's my first time celebrating the Lunar New Year in China, it's one of the few chances I'll ever get, why spoil it?

Even still, the thought of what was to come lingered in the back of my mind, it was potent like the stench of a dead stink bug or the remnants of a skunk spray—diminished yet still present to make you uncomfortable.

I tried to push away the uncomfortable feeling but it still lingered nonetheless.

It also didn't help that I knew Macaque was lingering in the background, hiding in the shadows. It seemed he remembered my warning—it would make sense as to why he was here.

I sighed and ran a hand through my hair, brushing strands out of the way as I took in the sights, sounds, and smells.

Might as well enjoy myself before all hell breaks loose.

Stepping out into the crowds, I weaved in and out, sharing friendly smiles with the citizens as I made my way over to a mooncake stand. Getting into line, I let out a soft sigh and glanced around, trying to locate Pigsy's truck and any familiar faces in the swarming crowds. The people that came behind me gave a wide space to not overcrowd my tail and I was grateful for it.

Perhaps food can ease my nerves.

I hated having my anxiety. It attacked me like a heart burn, clawing at my heart and making my stomach feel acidic like the false feeling of throwing up. Unfortunately most of the time it was caused by my own inner thoughts regarding a situation no matter how calm I tried to be.

I shakily exhaled, soon hearing soft chirps as I looked at Cubie. She watched me with a worried expression before projecting my health vitals on her frontal screen.

Anxiety - 75%

Nausea - 40%

Hypoglycemia (Low blood sugar) - Hyperglycemia (high blood sugar) = Entering early stages of Hyperglycemia.