(Part 14) Nightmares

Sunny's POV

Upon gaining consciousness, I came to the realization that I was still in a state of slumber. Although I usually forget my dreams upon waking up, this time it felt distinctively different. Something about this dream was etched in my mind and I couldn't shake off the feeling that it was more than just a fleeting figment of my imagination. As I scanned my surroundings, a strange sense of deja vu washed over me. I quickly realized that I was standing in the middle of the town, but something felt off. The familiar sights and sounds were all there, but it was as if I was seeing them through a haze, like a memory that had been distorted over time. Despite my confusion, I knew one thing for certain - this was not a dream.

I scanned the area around me to check if there were any people around. To my surprise, there was no one in sight. I stood there for a moment, expecting to see a large crowd of people, but there was no one. Suddenly, I heard footsteps approaching from behind me. I turned around quickly and saw The Elder. He looked furious, and in his hand was the same sharp blade that he had wielded during the "celebration" night. Without warning, he charged at me, brandishing the deadly weapon.

I tried to flee, but before I could take a step, I felt a figure blocking my path. It was Violet. She appeared out of nowhere, and her mocking tone sent shivers down my spine. "Now where do you think you're going? The fun has just begun," she sneered.

She immediately grabbed me and put me in a choking position. I tried begging her to let me go, but she wouldn't listen to me. The Elder made his way to me looking more frustrated with every step. Finally, he reached me and Violet.

"Do you have any last words? Sunny."
He said it in a deep voice that sounded like a growl.

I didn't say anything.

The Elder laughed at this and immediately put the knife in my stomach. The feeling of it made me want to gag. I felt tears running down my face uncontrollably. As I heard both of them laugh.

As I slowly opened my eyes, I was met with the bright, piercing light of the morning sun. My eyes were heavy with sleep, and as I rubbed them, I realized that my cheeks were wet with tears. I sat up on the couch and let out a loud, guttural sob. The weight of my emotions felt suffocating, like a heavy blanket that I couldn't shake off.

As I cried, I felt something warm and comforting behind me. It took a moment to register, but as I turned around, I saw my wings spread out behind me. They were soft and feathery, and I immediately felt comforted by their presence. I wrapped my arms around myself and covered my body with my wings.

Xavier's POV

Upon waking up, I immediately made my way downstairs, eager to spend the day talking to Sunny. We didn't have to run the shop today, so we had all the time in the world. However, as I descended the staircase, I heard quiet sobs emanating from the living room. My instincts told me that it could be risky to investigate random sounds, but what if Sunny was in trouble? I cautiously approached the living room and saw him sitting there, his wings covering his body as he cried. His eyes were glistening with tears, and they had a light golden glow to them, making his sorrowful expression all the more heart-wrenching.