Chapter 17: Remembering

Chapter 17

Remembering
---------------------------------------
O'Shae

"You be talkin' all that shit, but don't wanna post up in person!" August yelled at me through the phone.

"August, you don't want these kind of problems. I promise you." I joked back with him.

"Yea, iight." He chuckled. "What you doin' any ways ma?"

"I am getting dressed."

"Gettin' dressed? Whea' you finna go, don't you gotta go ta work lata?"

I shook my head and pulled a pair of pants out to go with the shirt I already chose. "No, but I promised someone I'd come to their cookout so I'm gonna head there for a few minutes."

I'd been thinking about the whole cookout thing since I ran into Mr.Reid yesterday. It's gonna be a cold trip back down memory lane, but I guess as much as I attempted to put that in the back of my mind, it is a part of my life no thanks to Raheem. A lot of messed up stuff is apart of me thanks to him. Ooh I can't wait for Aug to get better, although I'm still scared for him, I'm gonna trust him on this.

"A cookout? Anotha church one?"

"No, it's one for an old friend."

"Hm, well have fun out thea' baybeh, and is you gone let me take you out tonight?" He asked bringing up our earlier conversation.

I smiled liking the idea of him taking me out for a date again. Our first date was fun, and well thought through. I do want to go out with him again, but I ain't want to have him all on his feet and stuff when he truly needs to be relaxing, but he just doesn't quit.

"Yes, you can take me out. Where are we going?" I asked while walking into the bathroom.

The cold tiles met my feet, and the coldness in the bathroom in general engulfed me as a whole. The contrast to my hot living room and here was amazing. I got my toothbrush out and rinsed it before putting tooth paste on it and just setting it on the counter to finish our conversation.

"Shit, McDonalds got that double cheese burger special shit goin' on. We ca slide through there." He explained. I smacked my lips, and rolled my eyes. "August!"

"I'm fuckin' witchu baybeh." He laughed. "Naw, I heard 'bout this lil poetry slam thang downtown. Iont know if you'd want ta do no shit like that, but I thought you might like it. If you don't wanna go--"

"No, no! That sounds amazing. Corina and I usually go to stuff like that, but we weren't gonna go tonight because I was gonna chill with you, but I guess it all works out."

"Sweet, I thought you might be inta it. I used ta go ta thangs like that sometimes."

"Seriously?" I asked, letting a big smile grow on my face.

He surprises me every day with the little things I find out about him. He's a different kind of special, but I never anticipated him being into poetry. "Of course. Shits the same as rap music just wit' out the beat."

"Yea, you're right. Wow, I guess I never thought about it like that. " I nodded. "You are something else Mr.Alsina."

"So I've been told. Well let me, let you get ready ma. I'll be through 'round seven ta pick you up."

"August I can drive, I don't want you to keep drivin' when your leg is messed up like that."

"Fine. Ill see you when you get hea'."

"Okay. See you then." I smiled and hung up and then set my phone onto the sink top.

I went on to rinse my toothbrush again and then brushed my teeth. The minty flavor did wonders for me and once I was finished I felt much better. Something about brushing my teeth just makes me feel super clean. I finished the rest of my hygiene things and then got dressed. Grabbed my keys, phone, and a purse to go with my outfit before leaving out the door, and heading for the cookout.