Chapter 24: Be Honest

Chapter 24

Be Honest
------------------------------------
O'Shae

My dad, Bria, and I all sat quietly in the court room awaiting things to carry on. They had already sworn Dink in, and things had started up, but were awaiting August's entry. He's coming in to testify for Dink to help the case. I'm happy as hell he's coming to testify because that's damn near a guarantee that Dink gets off. I'm also some what sad to have to see August all hand cuffed and everything.

"Okay, officers is our inmate on his way?" The judge asked.

"Yes ma'am he should be here any second." the guard assured her.

The judge is someone Gina knows and I've seen her at the house a few times. She's a nice woman, but she's no nonsense either so when daddy and I heard she had Dink's case our spirits just dropped. I didn't know how she was going to be towards Dink and I honestly thought she wouldn't even care to hear him out, but she's been awfully considerate and nice today so I think things will be good.

Soon enough one of the doors opened up, and Aug came walking in along with two guards. He looked tired, and I'm sure he is. There's no way he slept peacefully in jail, hell I didn't even sleep peacefully thinking about him trying to sleep in jail.

They pushed him behind the podium, and he sat down before being sworn in. Soon enough Judge Carey was getting right to it. "Okay Mr.Alsina so you are here to testify on Mr.Foster's behalf, correct?"

"That's correct." he nodded, and then licked his lips.

He surveyed the room for a second, and then his eyes landed on me. He stared at me for a long time, and we just had one of those mental connections for a few seconds before I mouthed "I got you.". He bit his lip trying not to smile before turning back to the judge.

"So Mr.Alsina do tell me what you have a fire arm for in the first place. Do you hunt or do anything of that sort Mr.Alsina?" Judge Carey asked.

August shook his head, and leaned back a little in the chair. "No ma'am I do not. I have a gun simply foe protection seein' that my mother and I live in a bad neighborhood where many people do breakin's and thangs of that sort. It's just foe protection yo honor."

"Okay, and you had it with you the night of the incident, but you did not use the fire arm, so what did you do with it Mr.Alsina?"

"Uhm, I handed the gun ta Mr.Foster 'cause I ain't have no purpose in shooting the man, and I wasn't out to kill no one."

"So Mr.Foster had not taken your gun, and you did not give it to him so he could fire correct?" She asked to clarify.

Aug nodded again, and I could see Dink let out a breath of relief. That doesn't mean it's over yet though. I need to hear it straight out the judges mouth that he's clear, and once that gavel is banged we good to go.

"Correct. Dink was simply holdin' it foe me until I got it back, that's all. "

Judge Carey smiled, and nodded before dismissing August. The officers took him through the same door he came from, and the emptiness I feel without him came back, but I put it aside to listen to the closing statement and if Dink got off or not.

Judge Carey fixed her glasses, and the papers in front of her before looking up at Dink. "For the case of Lenard Foster, you are found not guilty on charges of illegal gun possession. Court is dismissed." She stated and then banged her gavel.

Many people proceeded to stand up including myself. I had the biggest smile on my face. I'm too excited my best friend didn't get charged with no mess. I know he's excited too because he was smiling from ear to ear as well. I saw him thank his lawyer and everything before exiting out of the room at the same time that we all did. Once we were all in the hallway Dink raced over to us, and started to Dougie right in the middle of the hallway. We all laughed at him before he popped up and hugged his mother.