4. The Iron Slayer and the Bookworm

Erza sat on in the guild hall and sighed in frustration. The guild emptier than usual making it quieter. Erza rested her head on the table. 4 hours have past and she had found nothing about what was in the mysterious bottles. If master was here they would've already found a cure but the council needed him more. Erza groaned. ' this is much more challenging than I expected.'

............................................................

It was starting to get dark outside and three figures were walking down the paved road.

"How far is it bookworm?" The black haired boy growled,

"Not that far, Gajeel." Levy sighed.

"Don't you live in Fairy Hills? How can Gajeel come inside?" Lily asked.

"That's just where I keep most of my books. I recently bought a small apartment for myself." Levy smiled.

Gajeel snorted. "It's not like I asked for your help shrimp."

Levy sighed. "It can't be helped." Levy smirked. "After all Gajeel just turned into a cute child."

"Don't get cocky!" Gajeel growled, his face blushing red.

Lily smiled. Though the two seemed completely different they went together like yin and yang. He had to admit that it was amusing seeing the iron dragon slayer as a small child.

His signature red eyes and black hair remained but his piercings were gone. Probably proof that he had them later on. Levy managed to find some old children clothes in the guild basement. Gajeel had a feeling they belonged to the ice stripper due to the fact they were almost never worn.

Moments later they reached the bookworm's home an entered.

"Nice place you have here." Lily commented.

"Thanks Lily." Levy smiled. Gajeel glanced over and blushed. It was embarrassing being in this state. Especially since he was now ironically shorter than the girl.

"Gajeel?" Levy said snapping the slayer from his thoughts.

"Y-yeah?" He stuttered as he watched her face brightened up.

"Are you hungry? Want anything to eat?" She smiled.

"Got any nails or metal?"

"Uhh I think so hold on." Levy left into the kitchen.

While the script Mage left Gajeel looked around her house. It was fairly messy for such a small girl as there were scattered papers and books everywhere. His eyes glared at a particular book that caught his interest. He peeked over in the kitchen to see Levy digging through cabinets and Lily assisting her. No one was watching.

The iron slayer walked over and attempted to reach the book he aimed for. Unfortunately it was on the fourth shelf, much too tall for the small dragon slayer in his current state. Gajeel growled in annoyance as he tried to go on his tippy toes to get the book he so much desired. Finally after many attempts he managed to knock it off the shelf, making it fall straight on his head.

The boy fell on his butt as he held the book in his hands. Gajeel carefully examined the cover. The large book looked worn out but it seemed at one point it was very beautiful. The hinges were metal bound to form a nice pattern and each corner was supported by nicely carved copper. Each design carved with care and patience. It reminded him of his own dad if you could even call it that.

Before he found Metallica he previous parents had kicked him out for being a nuisance. He got into constant fights and because of that everyone shunned or feared him. Even his own parents. The ones that were supposed to love him. No matter what.

Eventually meeting the dragon changed his aspect. Metallica was harsh but he always showed he cared. That was his way and Gajeel always respected that. The iron dragon cared for him and did the things his own family deprived him of. One of things being story telling. Even though the boy scowled and pretended he wasn't interested in stupid fairy tales, Metallica somehow knew that he was lying. Continuing the story every night.

Snapping out of his past the boy read the cover.

"The Beast and the Beautiful Traveler."

The title was embedded in gold cursive writing as the dragon slayer traced it with his small fingers. He opened it to find a picture of a monster with black scales and blood red eyes, somehow it reminded him of himself. He read the words inside:

'Once upon a time there was a nasty beast living in a small town surrounded by forest. The beast terrorized everyone and all who was happy'

Gajeel looked at the picture to see the monster crushing houses and destroying streets. He examined the look on the people's faces. All with terror. Before he could turn the page somebody picked him up and took the book away.

"Gajeel, what are you doing? Don't eat the book!" Levy scowled as she put the book on the table.

"I wasn't eating it!" Gajeel growled, crossing his arms.

"Then were you actually reading it?" Lily questioned a he flied over him.

Gajeel blushed and turned his head. "N-no it looks stupid. I just thought I'd see how freaking lame it is."

"It's a good story!" Levy retorted. "I thought somebody like you would like it."

Gajeel just huffed. "As if I would be a bookworm like you."

"Gajeel, that's enough don't be rude." Lily said seriously.

"I found some metal.." Levy said. "I'm not really sure what kind is good so I just found the newer ones."

Gajeel looked at the plate in front of him. Honestly any metal would've been fine. To think that she would go through the trouble to find him her newest silverware. Even after he was such a jerk to her. Levy noticed him staring at the plate.

"You don't want it?" She sighed in defeat.

"No." The black haired Mage corrected. "It's better than what I usually eat. You didn't have to go through the trouble."

"It's okay." Levy smiled slightly.

"Thanks bookwo-... Levy." Gajeel caught himself before eating the meal without complain.

After a while Lily decided to go home to watch the house. Gajeel stayed with Levy who was cleaning up her own meal she cooked for herself.

"I have an extra bed you can sleep on." Levy suggested.

Gajeel nodded not breaking eye contact from the book on the table. Levy noticed.

"Do you want to read it? I'll let you borrow it."

Gajeel looked at her. "Really? I might break it..."

Levy nodded. "What more could you do? It's old already." She laughed.

Gajeel walked over and held the story book in his hands. Levy watched as he walked into the empty guest room and climes on the bed, book open.

'He must really like that book.' She though as she walked towards him.

"I don't get these words." He said bluntly pointing at the bigger words in front of him.

"You don't know?"

"I learned how to read but not those big words..." Gajeel mumbled embarrassed.

Levy smiled as she scooted next to him and held the book with him.

"I'll read the story." She said as the two sat together.

'Maybe this change wouldn't be so bad.' They thought.