Chapter 20

*This is dedicated to @JustDifferent1997 for being a steady commenter on the story. It means a lot to me because I love reading comments to see what people think! So thanks RockGirl14! You're awesome! Enjoy :D*

Chapter Twenty

            After the barbeque, I was really shaken up about the note and the glasses lens that came along with it. Derek knew that my party mood had basically been ruined. We had stopped dancing and we went to his office to talk. I really didn’t feel like being the downer of the party.

Everyone else was having a good time so why ruin their moment with my own problems? We walked through the house hand in hand to get to his office. I was secretly glad that I wouldn’t have to use the vents this time. My knees were a little sore from kneeling the last time.

            Inside his office, he asked me to tell him everything that I knew or anything that would help him out. I started telling him about the phone call I’d received from Jared. I told him how Jared had called me on an accident. I also told him how he was talking to an unknown voice and how Jared was talking about he’d had a nice trip and left a nice little gift for “her”.

To say that Derek was outraged was a big understatement. He was flat out furious. He was so upset in fact that he’d started shaking, his wolf just on the edge of taking over. I tried to calm him down by rubbing his arm and telling him that I was fine. After he had calmed down enough to talk, he told me his thoughts.

            He told me that at first he wasn’t sure why a wolf would be in the territory without talking to the Alpha, but after I had explained everything to him, he got the picture. I just laid my head on his shoulders to rest. We just sat there in a peaceful silence. It wasn’t long before I noticed he’d gone a little rigid.

            “What are you thinking about?” I asked while sitting up on his lap. I turned my position around so I was facing him. He looked at me and shook his head. I frowned and I grabbed his chin gently. “Hey, it’s okay you can tell me Derek.”

            He sighed and started twirling a piece of my hair around his finger. “Whisper, I don’t really want to talk about it.”

            This made me angry. “Derek, I’m trying to help you out. If we are going to be the leaders of this pack, I need to know when something or someone is bothering you. How am I supposed to help if you never tell me anything? I want to be here for you!” I snapped. “You know what? Never mind. When you want to talk you know where I’ll be.” I rose to stand up but I was pulled right back down. I turned to face him with a glare. “What do you want?” I snapped.

            “No, don’t go please. I need you.” He looked at me for a few moments before turning his gaze to the door. I waited patiently for him to speak.

            “I – I…” He started.

            I nudged him, “Come on. Just spill it.” I grabbed his hand.

“I’m worried about you.” He whispered softly looking me straight in the eyes.

 After meeting my eyes for a couple of seconds he bent his head down in between my neck and shoulders inhaling my scent deeply. I think he was trying to calm himself down. He was scared. That’s what was bothering him. My heart reached out to him. Even though I was sad that he was worried for me my wolf was rejoicing at the thought of her mate being upset if something should happen to us.

            Derek continued. “I just found you.” His voice got stronger. “I can’t lose you now! I swear if he tries to lay a hand on you…”