Chapter 20: Hard choices

just in case here is a quick heads-up. In this chapter, we see the midpoint in Bular's redemption... but the main question is HOW WILL BULAR DECIDE HIS FATE FROM HERE ON OUT? Y'all got to find out in the later chapters ( sorry not sorry) 

WARNING: THE FEELS ARE GOING TO BE REAL 

*English text                                           * Trollish text

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

( the next day, during the same time that " A Tale of Two Bridges" would of taken place)

To Bular in this exact moment, time felt like it was frozen in place. As Bular waited for a chance to walk outside during the night in the hope that it would be the more likely for Kanjigar to find him and the whelp as soon as possible the second he implemented his plan. Bular kept telling himself his plan within the confines of his mind over and over again.

" Take the whelp to the entrance to Trollmarket, place him in the box bundled in his blanket, leave the note with the whelp for Kanjigar to find, run... run as far away from the scene as fast as you can before Kanjigar notices your presence... leave... leave the whelp behind"

Bular felt that it was necessary to keep repeating the plan in his head in fear that he would deviate for even a second if he didn't. As soon as the sun had set he stepped outside with the whelp in his arms... the whelp looked weak. With each passing step the sounds of the town of Arcadia became less and less as if he was listening to the static on a TV.

The closer and closer Bular got to the bridge in the Arcadia the more and more Bular felt the unease all over his body. His head was buzzing, his feet felt heavy with each step, and his heart was aching... just like it was the day his mother died and the day that he discovered that his father and the rest of the Gumm-gumm tribe got banished to the darklands.

Bular almost didn't realize that he was right at the secret entrance of trollmarket until he felt the whelp squriming in his arms. When Bular looked down he felt his heart stop as he stared into the whelp's eyes. Bular knew that he had made a mistake, ever since he first found the whelp he always made sure that he would never make eye contact with the whelp... because he knew that if he did he would be too far gone in his attachment for the whelp.

The whelp's looked at Bular lovingly now that his eyes were developed enough to see Bular's face properly... Bular knew full well that this was because the whelp is confusing him as his fa.... his primary caretaker. The whelp stared into Bular's eyes with the feeling of security in his presence despite how tired that he was.

" JUST PLACE HIM IN THE BOX"

" YOUR TOO FAR INTO YOUR PLAN TO BACK OUT NOW"

"JUST DO IT"

" THE WHELP ISN'T YOURS TO KEEP"  

Bular was doing his best to listen to the voices in his head telling him to proceed with the plan. As Bular placed the whelp and the note into the box as he planned, the whelp started to fuss as if he sensed what Bular's intentions were. Without so much as a second thought Bular leaned down to the whelp's ear to whisper one final good bye to his little... to the whelp.

" shhh, shhh, shhh. It's okay... your... your going to be okay now. The trolls in trollmarket will be able to take good care of you. Far better care than what I have been providing for you. There's even a couple that would be more than happy for you to become their son.... so this... this is goodbye" 

Even though Bular felt that he was making the right choice for his current situation it still didn't change the fact that he was feeling so much pain in his heart that he doesn't feel the need to speak in English anymore. As Bular stood up getting ready to leave, he heard the entrance to trollmarket opening. In a state of panic Bular feels his legs frozen in place when he heard the whelp crying out for him... Bular started to have an argument with himself in his mind.

 " why am I not moving, why do i feel... scared, I should need to go NOW" 

By the time that Bular managed to convinve himself to take a step in any direction away from the bridge, Kanjigar saw him and the whelp. Both Kanjigar and Bular were frozen in place due to their shared disbelief of what is transpiring. Finally Bular regained enough resolve to start running towards the town and hide in the alleys... but not before giving Kanjigar one last message.

" Kanjigar... make sure that you give him everything that I couldn't"

Bular ran off before Kanjigar had the chance to speak. Bular kept running and running with tears in his eyes as the sound of the whelp's crying echoed in his mind and his heart felt as if it would be torn out of his chest at any moment. After Bular returned to his lair he collapsed onto the ground as all of his memories with the whelp flooded his mind. It felt like the hole that formed in Bular's heart the night after the battle of Killahead bridge came back... except the hole was bigger now and he didn't want to admit the truth to himself that... that... he regretted what he had just done.