Chapter 4

On the way back to the top of the plate, neither soldier said a word at first. Actually, the taller one's silence was supposed to worry Luna, after all it could mean that Angeal had noticed something that she had let shine through, but she didn't waste any thought on it. She pondered how she could keep ShinRa safe while also meeting with the splinter group. It was almost impossible to disappear unnoticed during a mission, and if she disappeared during her rest period she would have to come up with airtight alibis, which wasn't exactly easy for her. There was always a tiny bit of insecurity somewhere that could give her away. So only the weekends remained.

Luna should stop listing risks. Her whole job was a risk. A few words on the edge of her consciousness brought Luna back to reality. With a confused look she looked at Angeal, who was the only one who might have said something, and tilted her head.

Angel smiled. "I asked you if you ever said you were born in the slums."

It took the blue-haired woman a while to realize what he wanted from her. After endless seconds, she nodded quickly. "Yes, I think I did," she replied.

Angeal looked out the window of the train they were on. "You could have visited your family. We definitely would have had the time."

Luna looked at him thoughtfully, but couldn't see anything devious in his face. "What makes you think that?" she asked suspiciously.

"Family time is important, isn't it? I always visit my mother when I have a mission to do in Banora," Angeal chatted casually.

Luna stroked the blue waves of her hair thoughtfully. She had undone her braid because it was giving her a slow headache. What should she say to that? Sorry, I no longer have a family and grew up in a laboratory? Apart from the fact that Angeal probably knew this for a long time, she didn't want to express it to him. Plus, she saw Avalanche as her family and she certainly couldn't tell Angeal that, so she has to invent something believable. "We wouldn't have had enough time to look for them... They're somewhere in the slums. There's no time to sit at home during the day and there's enough trouble for us too. "It's enough if we meet at the weekend and then I leave again," she said hesitantly.

Angeal looked at her in turn. "Then why are you going back if it doesn't work?"

Luna snorted. "Family time is important, isn't it?"

With a slight smile on his lips, Angeal shook his head. He then placed a hand on Luna's shoulder. "If you need someone to talk to, feel free to come to me," his tone reminded her more of a father than a first-rank soldier. If anyone could play that role, it was Angeal.

Luna laboriously turned her face to him and nodded silently. He looked at her so incredibly sincerely and she? She lied to him to the letter. If she were ever found out, and she would be, he would be incredibly disappointed in her. "I'll come back to that," she finally added in the neutral tone she could manage. Angeal looked like he wanted to ask something else, but turned away and looked out the window. Luna wondered if he had wanted to know if she already knew Jessie and Tifa and then the lies would have continued. Sighing, she looked away from him and stared out the window. She felt him staring at her again, but ignored it as best she could. He could read people better than she could. She had to be especially wary of him.

Back at ShinRa, Luna was besieged by Zack, who demanded to know why she had been away for so long with his mentor. The black-haired man had now risen to the first rank, but without Angeal he would probably only be half as strong as he was now.

Unfortunately, it wasn't enough for Zack to throw a short, unfriendly answer at him, which Luna preferred to do rather than tell the whole story. In this case, she had tried to tell him to ask Angeal about it. Unfortunately, he insisted on finding out from her. Unfortunately, he didn't live up to his name as Angeal's puppy. He would drive her crazy if he didn't start pursuing his mentor again soon.

With the faint hope that he would leave if he ignored him long enough, she marched through the halls of the ShinRa building to her room. None. He followed her like he was her puppy, not even leaving her when she reached her room and opened the door. 'What a weirdo,' Luna thought annoyed. "Can you finally stop chasing me?" she asked irritably and wondered if she could just slam the door in his face, then at least there would be peace for a while.

Of course he didn't do her the favor of just leaving. Faster than she could see, he slipped past her into her room and sat down on her bed. "Come on, I just want to know why you were down in Sector 7 together for so long!" His puppy dog ​​eyes would probably have been melting for others, but he hardly touched Luna.

"Ask Angeal!" she growled.

"But I want to know from you!" whined Zack.

Luna looked at him darkly, if she told him that they were looking for a blonde soldier, she wouldn't be able to get rid of him. Zack had known Cloud and didn't know what had happened to him. It was too risky to talk about the blonde in his presence. How was she supposed to get rid of that tick? She sighed: "The Turks saw someone down there who piqued Angeal's interest and that's why we asked around a bit," she then explained as roughly as she could, knowing that Zack would by no means be satisfied with that.

"And what was so interesting about that?" the black-haired man continued to probe.

"His eyes," she said shortly. How annoying could one person be?

"And did you...?" he started, but Luna lost his patience and interrupted him.

"Zack Fair, don't you have any more missions to complete that you have to trample on my nerves? Can you imagine how long I've been awake today? Lazard had wanted to give me a day off! Could you PLEASE get lost now?!" she shouted at him and in the next moment put him in front of the door before she hit it with full force.

Zack didn't re-enter. If he had, Luna would probably have cut him short given her mood.

Pulling her hair out, she collapsed onto the bed. This whole situation in the slums with Angeal and now with Zack had stressed her out so much that her synapses were burning out. At least she could visit her 'family' in a few days. Finally they could move forward with their plan. Finally her shitty situation was going to pay off!