Chapter 8

After a brief stop in her cave to replace her equipment, Luna had made her way to 7th Heaven through many detours. From a distance she could see that Fenrir was parked very close to the bar. Cloud had probably also found his way back to the family.

Luna ran up the stairs with quick steps and opened the door. Something cool on her neck made her pause. Sharp metal rested against her skin. Carefully and with pointed fingers, she pushed First Tsurugi aside. "I missed you too, Cloud," she said dryly. All she got in response was a snort. Cloud was someone she needed to warm up to for a while. Every time again. Before, they behaved like enemies.

"You're here!" Luna was happily greeted by Jessie, who pulled her into a tight, warm hug.

The smaller one hugged her. "I can't miss a meeting." They giggled. Someone behind them cleared their throat. Luna and Jessie broke away and turned around.

"Get a room!" Biggs shouted from next to him, grinning Wedge and Barret perched on a stool in front of the counter. Tifa stood nearby and laughed quietly. Jessie cheekily stuck her tongue out at him.

"Then when we're complete, we can go downstairs?" asked Cloud, as usual coolly.

Nobody had anything to object to and so a few moments later they were sitting in the basement of the bar and looking expectantly at Barret, who had positioned himself at the front of the table. "We had to keep our feet still for a long time. In that one year that Luna infiltrated Soldier, we were able to do almost nothing to stop ShinRa from stealing the Mako from the Lifestream. This will end from today. We'll blow up the reactor in Sector 2 and show ShinRa that we'll never let ourselves be defeated!" he said hand on the table.

Approval greeted him from all sides, only one seemed unconvinced of his idea. "We're inevitably going to run into some firsts," Luna interjected.

"That's why we have Cloud and you with us. While Biggs, Jessie and I deal with the bomb, you buy us time. "You just have to distract them until we're done with the mission."

Cloud snorted. "Do you hear that? He says "just," he murmured to Luna. She just nodded silently. Cloud seemed slightly annoyed.

"What about us?" Wedge asked, pointing at Tifa and himself.

"You stay out of the fighting and ensure that our escape routes remain clear. "We have to be quick and that's only possible if we don't get involved in any more combat on the way out," Barret replied. He didn't leave anyone out. Everyone had a task that seemed important to the mission.

"All right," they looked at each other. Finally a mission again. Despite her concerns, Luna was a little excited.

On the train up to the plate, Luna avoided looking at anyone. Their eyes shouldn't give them away. Barret's plan wasn't a safe one, and if they actually encountered soldiers like Angeal or Genesis, she and Cloud would be in trouble. Although they both had similar skills to the first rank soldiers, they lacked the experience and level of training. At least they both had access to multiple blades and Luna could master materia in all forms, which might make things a little easier. Ordinary soldiers did not learn to use multiple weapons. Luna's fingers were itching to finally get started again with her two soul savers. She couldn't reach her full potential with the broadsword because it slowed her down too much, but now she could test how her colleagues handled speed in combat. Because of her size, the large sword had caused her some problems.

Lost in thought, Luna twirled her pendant between her fingers and stared at the ground. The rest of the team were scattered somewhere on the train, which didn't really calm them down. Without it, she felt at the mercy of the ShinRa followers around her. Some time ago, guardsmen came on board that she knew vaguely and associated with Genesis. They must have been on a more important mission with him at some point. Luna felt like someone had lifted a huge chunk off her shoulders when she was finally able to get off the train. Luckily without incident.

Separately, the planet-protecting terrorists made their way to the reactor and gathered in the shelter of some containers not far from the entrance. Tifa and Wedge split off from the group first and disappeared into the streets. Afterwards, Luna and Cloud wanted to take care of the guards on duty and the rest of the group was supposed to use the distraction and sneak into the building. That's the plan anyway.

However, things turned out differently. As soon as Cloud and Luna entered the forecourt, guardsmen streamed into the open space from all directions and pointed their weapons at them. "Drop your weapons!" one of them shouted at them. Luna glanced at Cloud. They both still had their swords stowed in their holsters. Why were these guardsmen making such a fuss? Nobody had died yet.

Luna raised her hands above her head disarmingly. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw that Cloud was doing the same. The guardsmen became bolder and came closer. "Keep your hands where we can see them," the guy who said that sounded more like a frightened dog than an upstanding infantryman.

"With pleasure," Luna called out to them in a squeaky voice. She never raised her voice, so it was okay.

Within seconds, the two fighters drew their weapons and caused a massacre in front of the entrance that left none of their opponents alive. At least her hands always remained visible.

Completely unmolested, Luna and Cloud stood among the dead and wiped their swords clean. "Good job," Luna held out her fist to Cloud.

The blonde looked at her for a few seconds and then hesitantly pressed his fist against hers. "We have to move on, otherwise the soldiers will be in the reactor before us," he mumbled, embarrassed.

"Okay, then continue," Luna ran ahead and entered the reactor. There was no sign of Barret, Jessie and Biggs. "They must be further in," the masked woman muttered and continued to sneak down the hall.

After the two encountered an obliterator, they became more cautious. The machine had surprised them and almost run over Cloud. Hidden behind some boxes, they caught their breath again. The room was dark except for the faint Mako glow of her eyes.

"Do you think Jessie turned off the main power?" Luna Cloud asked nervously.

"Maybe" was all she got back in response.

'You're a big help Chocobo,' she thought angrily.

Silence fell. The calm before the storm. They continued walking quietly until Cloud suddenly heard a laugh. She looked questioningly at her colleague. "Your eyes look like they're floating around." This elicited a small giggle from her too.

The dark room opened into a slightly larger hall. They were on a platform made of lattice panels, from which you could go down a staircase into the hall. It was lit by a faint Mako glow. "How long do you think they'll need?" Luna leaned on the railing. Cloud couldn't answer because heavy footsteps sounded behind them.