Chapter 11

After that, Sephiroth made her life difficult. Word of his distrust must have spread like wildfire throughout the soldier and they now treated their colleagues accordingly. Very few people looked at her when they met. Most of them stopped talking when she came near and only continued talking when she moved away again. Her life was suddenly more isolated than before. Still, she could never shake the feeling of being watched. She was used to being alone, but the feelings of loneliness and persecution gnawed at her.

Additionally, Lazard avoided assigning her solo missions. She was constantly accompanied by a soldier of the first rank, whether it was Zack, Angeal, or Genesis, they disturbed everyone. Sephiroth himself stayed away from her, probably better for him. Apparently he reciprocated the dislike she showed him.

Luna was currently out on the record with Genesis in a residential area to kill some monsters. She could have easily completed this mission alone, unfortunately Genesis had insisted on following his orders and accompanying her. However, Luna noticed that he had no desire for this escort. However, she wouldn't be surprised if he just sat down somewhere and read Loveless.

The houses in the neighborhood were close together so that they could walk straight behind each other. Luna crouched and wrapped one hand around the hilt of her sword. She still wore it on her hip because she didn't expect any monsters before the finish. She wouldn't allow herself to make a misstep today. These guards annoyed her and robbed her of her freedom. Today had to be the last day, otherwise she would go crazy.

A growled bark from an alley to her right made her sit up and take notice. Luna paused, forcing Genesis to stop. "Did they send guard dogs to hunt us?" she hissed over her shoulder.

"As far as I know, they're different here," he whispered back, suddenly closer to her than she would have liked.

"To what extent?" she asked and slowly moved towards the corner of the house.

,,I don't know it. "Lazard didn't say anything else about it," Genesis replied.

Grumbling, Luna pulled her sword from her hip and stroked the squiggled blue metal. "Let's get this over with," she said, more annoyed than open-minded. She heard Genesis pull his rapier out of his holster. This security was enough for her to throw herself into the alley, which was only half a meter wider, and face the guard dogs.

Luna was faced with four grotesquely mutated guard dogs that had probably disappeared from the research department. She jumped out of the way with a roll because her back suddenly became very hot and Genesis fired a fire spell at the creatures without warning them beforehand. "Are you grilling me?" she snapped angrily over her shoulder. She didn't want to turn her back on the dogs.

She no longer heard Genesis' answer because the first one had not had the desired effect on the dogs. Instead of retreating, they threw themselves at Luna. With a powerful swing of her sword, she threw the jaws of a dog away from her, spun around, and drove the blade into its skull. He fell silently to the ground as he moved. The next one wanted to jump at her too, but Luna was faster. With a graceful twist, her boot landed in the pit of his stomach before she jumped back, holding her sword ready to fight. The dog fell to the ground, whining. Then Luna's blade pierced his throat and he lay still.

Meanwhile, Genesis had taken care of the other two. "Good job," he praised her and wiped his rapier clean on a cloth. Before she could answer, however, a shadow fell over the two of them.

"What the...", the blue-haired woman slowly turned around and raised her eyes to the sky. Several shimmers flew above them. Luna couldn't tell exactly how many there were, but one thing was certain. They were larger than usual. The wings of the largest one had a span of 5 meters. "Shit," Luna cursed, Genesis just looked up silently.