Chapter 13

*priest Ruv's POV*

     Today is a day Sarvente, who is sitting with me in the church, hasn't been too eager for.

     Sarvente and I are childhood friends, now dating, not to mention the fact that my life weighs on her maintaining our vow. I never met her family, and she hasn't seen them for years. Today, she has finally decided to tell me everything from her past that she can remember, everything I wasn't there for...

     "Sarvente, are you sure you want to tell me everything? You always get so emotional when the topic of your past is brought up...", I say.

     Sarvente holds my hand and smiles, with a hint of sadness visible behind her eyes. "I trust you with my life. I don't want to keep anything from you, especially now that we're together."

     "As long as you are comfortable. If it's too much, you don't have to continue.", I say.

     "No. I'm going to tell you everything I can remember.", she says, to which I nod in support. This is a hard thing for her.

     She takes a deep breath. "Ok, from the start..."

     "My father- his name was Adrian- was a florist. My grandma, his mother, died when he was younger, and his dad, my grandfather, started a flower shop in her memory, as she apparently loved flowers. My mom- her name was Rosa- was also a criminal. Kinda. I don't remember exactly, nor do I remember how they met, but they did, got married, and had me."

     I smile. It seems this will go fine. At least, so far.

     "As I said the other day when we met our alternate selves, I had a brother, too..."

     Sarvente's sadden. "I don't remember too much about him. His name was James, and he was 5 years younger than me."

     "And then I met you, when I was 7 or 8."

     "We met when you were adventuring. I remember... It was a shame that I had to leave eventually.", I say.

     "And adventuring was exactly how I got lost. I was in a forest, maybe 10 minutes from my house... I heard someone singing. It was so beautiful... I trailed off, and before I knew it, I was lost. I was fending for myself for 2 weeks, and it completely changed me. From then on, I was on my own. I never saw my family again. They're probably dead anyway..."

     "Don't say that, Sarv..."

     She tears up. "They can't join us in immortality until I find them again... They will die, if they haven't already, and I will have to wait until the end of time to see them again, when we ascend to Heaven. Considering my mother's criminal status, they probably are dead, or have moved elsewhere."

     "I will help you find them. I promise, you will see them again. You made your vow to protect me until the end of time, and I vow to help you find your parents."

     Sarvente wipes her tears with her sleeve. "Thank you, Ruv. I don't know what I'd do if I never met you..."

     "I love you."

     "I love you too."