9. BREAKDOWN

~Myeong-Jun~

  Hebe sat down at the only table in the whole home; a small table, at that. She rested her head in her arms. She kept grumbling about unrecognizable words.

  After a while of her just staying like this, Mus piped up, "Hebe, is everything alright? You look like you're melting into the table,"

  She laughed a little, but kept her head buried in her arms. Hebe sighed, and then grumbled about something. Again, no one could make this out.

  Mus came over and tapped her shoulder lightly. "What's wrong?"

  "Eep," she lifted her head into her palms. "I can't believe we have wanted criminals in our house — criminals that we are probably not going to be able to get out," Hebe whispered to him, but it was loud enough for the others to hear.

I couldn't help but frown at Hebe's words. It wasn't like I wanted to be in her rickety abode anyways. I was only here because Ken'ichi chose to accept their invitation, and I wanted to ensure his safety. I never trusted them, or chose to be with them, but yet, I still acted somewhat friendly towards them. Now I'm the fiend, apparently.

I ponder about the time spent at the market, where Edge's devoted follower #1 made her sudden entrance. I wished to slap her right across the face, but, Ken'ichi being Ken'ichi, told me it wasn't right.

I get that Ken'ichi and I, as the top wanted criminals would bring danger to those who try to help us, but I'm me. I'm not the diabolical fiend as of which I've been titled as. Strangely, I would fight to protect. Strangely, at the market, I felt the need to somehow help Hebe and Mus. But I can't worry Ken'ichi.

I shake my head vigorously. I thought like an idiot. Why am I caring for strangers? Why am I thinking about yesterday? The past is the past, and I don't live in the past. For me, everything is about the future and the present. Presently, I'm being basically cursed upon. As annoyance built up in me, I scowled at Hebe. "I will cheerfully and gleefully leave your home."

Before I said more, I quickly bit my tongue. As much as I wanted to insult Hebe, I also fear for the safety of Ken'ichi.

  Hebe perked up; surprised that Myeong-Jun even heard her. She looked scared, worried, and not at all like the bright, happy girl she wanted to be. Even from spending time with these people, the rumors spread about them overpowered her senses of how Ken'ichi and Myeong must be.

  Hebe's eyes narrowed as she quickly tried to hide this, and try to come with another retort. "Well.. well then leave!"

  Mus pulled her over, and although she was older than him, he comforted her like he was the older brother, "These are good people," he said in a soft tone, "they aren't going to hurt us."

  Hebe closed her eyes and nodded. She pulled him over for a hug. The two of them had a very close relationship. They proved, again and again, just how much they needed each other.

  Once she opened her strange, yellow eyes, she finished off in more of an apology. "I'm sorry, I am just trying to keep Mus and myself out of danger,"

  I bitterly and sourly shove my annoyance into an imaginary box. Keeping emotions under control was something I struggled to do. I force myself to calm down, as if I lashed out at Hebe, I would look like the villain. And, on top of all, there is Ken'ichi's safety I worry about. I didn't respond to Hebe's words, I only just stood there.

  I just stood still for a few, eerie seconds, worrying about Ken'ichi. I must've been overthinking. Worries about Ken'ichi clouded my thoughts. I felt overwhelmed in a way.

  Luckily, Ken'ichi then comes to my aid. "I understand," He says, "Myeong fears for my safety too, and I am the same back. I get it."

  I turn my gaze to Ken'ichi. He was always calm, composite, in other words, the very opposite of who I am. He looked straight at Hebe and Mus with his light blue eyes, while turning the back of his back to me.

  "We will leave." Ken'ichi tells Hebe and Mus, "Now."

  He turns around to me, and takes me by my hand. Ken'ichi leans in towards me, and whispers to me in my ear, "Put down the tough act, Myeong. If you're worried about me, then show it. If you're fearful, show it."

  "What—?" I reply at once, feeling small drops of water forming in my eyes. I was not just about to cry at his words. I then mumble, "I hate you."

  "Oh... bye," Mus looked disappointed at seeing them leave, and upset from Myeong being upset.

  Why did this random boy with no relations to them care if they came or went? Why did he care if she was upset? How strange.

  Hebe trotted up to Mus to say her goodbyes as well. Why was she doing this, too? She was the one who wanted them out of her broken-down house.

  "Farewell! Safe travels," She waved a goodbye.

  Her eyes twinkled with some foreign emotion. She turned to wipe it away, but the words she did not express still lingered there. Hebe seemed to regret kicking them out — Not that they needed her ruined "house", anyways.

  Before Ken'ichi and I opened the door, the door swung open on its own. Ken'ichi's calm expression was instantaneously covered in shock. He backed away from the door quickly.

  I wiped the tears forming in my eyes, and peered at the door. At once, I took out a knife, as Kawasumi stood there, with an unreadable expression. She then invited herself in Hebe's house.