23. SEALED FATE

She descended slowly, down the stairs. An air of elegance and royalty shines through her. However, she is draped in dark, dirty rags.

The guards scoff at her. A couple grumble about who this woman thinks she is. Who is she?

She darts up to them, and flicks her hand nonchalantly at them; to shoo them off. Somehow, whoever this was, thought she was stronger than a whole army full of warriors. What a fool.

"Did you not hear me? I ordered you all to leave! Do you not have a heart? Can you not see what she is going through?" She adds.

"Miss, this is a wanted criminal." Another grumbles, obviously wanting her to just shoot herself off.

She gasps, "If she is this criminal, then why did you not kill her off already?"

"Well, we wanted to have some.. fun with her," some greased-up man barked out a laugh.

This was comical. Who was she? Why were they letting her talk to them like that?

The cloaked figure strode over to the man, grabbed him from in between his legs, pulled him off his horse, threw him onto the ground, and finished him quickly by stabbing her heel into his head. The whole.. incident only took a few moments until it was over.

"Should've known who I am." She mutters, and pulls her hood down a bit to the other fighters.

She slaps the horse on its rump, and made it run off. "Now, go get that beast, and get out of here,"

Quickly, they all follow this random woman's order. She kicks the dead body from before to the side, and turns back.

I look up at the woman, my vision blurry and hazy from my tears. I see the guards, one after another, leave the area. Leaving me with the woman.

What felt bothersome was that this woman wore a hood over her head. I couldn't see who this woman was. I knew as of right now, I was vulnerable. My vulnerability would allow for anyone to just... harm me.

"Who are you?" My voice cracks as I ask the question. "Are you here to kill or arrest me as well?"

"Arrest you?" She gives a smile and a laugh, as if that is the craziest sentence she heard all day.

Somehow, the dim light in the alleyway broadcasts her sharp smile. Sharp, pointed teeth, like a predator. She stalks closer, as if hunting her prey.

She takes on another small laugh. "Now, that would just be plain cruel! No, after all you've just been through," — the cloaked figure lifts her hand and points to Ken'ichi's lifeless body — "I want to offer you a new hope, and happiness."

She lifts her arms, and pulls down her sleeves. She reveals rows, and rows full of bracelets and jewels, just dancing around on her strikingly pale skin. Long, claw like nails rest on her hands, along with many assorted rings. Only two rest on her ring finger, though.

Whoever this is, definitely wants to show off her wealth and power. She must be of high status.

"Dearie, I could push you up from some lowly outcast, to a highly ranked general." She takes time saying each word; she puts emphasis on "lowly outcast" to "highly ranked general."

She also seems rather familiar. Someone who had been hunting their little group of outcasts. Slowly savoring her victims, and making them last to fulfill her desires. Someone who takes her sweet time, plucking the members, one by one — Not caring if they were her former friends, or not.

Whoever this is, lost her sanity long ago. She enjoys watching pain and suffering. She sees life as a silly game; throwing human lives around, to see if they'll live, or just be another dead person to hang. As a warning, to not mess with her.

However, there was not a name to put to the face of this woman.

"So... powerful," She slurs, "You would be beloved by everyone; seen as a hero to the nation. You would have oh, so many friends to add to your wealth.

And, don't even worry about that... What was his name? Ken'ichi? Bah, what use is loving a servant, when you could have anyone you want?"

She sighs, and twirls about. Her dark, dirty clothes danced around her. Whether she was wearing an expensive gown, or this, she reeked of elegance and wealth.

"Just imagine the life you could have! Everything you want, at your very fingertips," She finds her way back. "I only want the very best, for someone like you. What talent should be wasted on the streets?

All I need to make this complete, is a deal," she pulls a paper from out of her sleeve, and taps on where to sign a name.

The paper talked about being loyal to Her Majesty. Just in fancy terms.

"So, do we have a deal, dear?"

"We have a deal." I mumble, without thinking. I had no room for thoughts. No room to process the world around me. I only had room for my grief, by the loss of Ken'ichi.

I glance at the now dead Ken'ichi. My sorrow clouds my eyes. My vision, still in a blur, fades for a slight moment, and I realize whoever was leaning over the edge of the trash can was not Ken'ichi, as I had believed.

In that moment, relief washes over me like a wave, and retracts, revealing anger. Rage. Fury. The dangerous, agonizing and agitating feeling of anger boils up inside of me. I've been deceived.

I stop grieving. I stop weeping. I snatch a dagger and get up. I wipe the wasted tears in my eyes, and I turn my head to the cloaked figure. I give her a fake smile. "Never mind," I hiss, my voice still sounding half-dead, "I will disrespectfully decline your deal offer, Sun Tribe's oh-so fabulous 'queen.'"

Edge pulls down her hood. Her long, fiery red hair billows around her. It emphasizes her dark green eyes; her pupils slit, like a snakes'.

A streak of her original hair color, her dark brown hair, whisks its way through the rest of her hair. She winds a strand around long, claw-like fingers.

Even in her pitiful disguise, Edge will always be recognized as Edge. She will never be able to hide herself. — Or, is this what she wanted too? Was everything staged? Would this be another step in her long, twisted plan?

Perhaps.

She smiles sickly. She turns, and yet still faces where she originally looked. "Ah, Myeong-Jun, you are much wiser than that Atlanta. She fell into my trap of 'freedom' and sold herself away."

She looks me dead in the eyes. "You are smart, but still weak. Your demise will come soon, which is a shame. I have enjoyed toying with you, and your lot of mistakes."

Edge knocked on the wall nearest to her, opening a small door. Where it led, must have been to a different world. Rows, and rows of pure knowledge led in books existed through it.

"Now, I must get going. The show will not run itself," She smirks, and then adds, "You better check up on your... friends, Myeong,"

The mysterious door closes, and disappears.

With that, she was gone.