18. PRINCE CHARMING (1/2)

A/N: Warning— Gore, language, racism

——

~Hebe~

  I wipe away a tear. I really do miss Clover. I... could never have been there for her like she was for me. Never.

  I turn my attention to Myeong and Ken'ichi. What a sweet, funny couple. I remember the times I used to fear them. Now we live with them.

However, I cannot help but feel a pang of jealousy.

I remember having someone like that, but he then ended up being a cruel man.

Not my Prince Charming.

' I know I made a promise to Clover, but I also made one with Bean.

  I gently push Clover off of me. We were sitting in her bedroom, just talking. I feel like we are on better terms now.

  Something about her seems off now, though. I recall her venting on how scared she is, if one day she just "snaps." I'm worried for her. I want to be there for her, more than ever now. Just like how she was for me when we were little.

  Although, I do not remember too much from my childhood now. I remember the flower-people, braiding each other's hair, dolls, making up fairies, and trying on our mom's shoes and dresses. What I can never seem to fully grasp again, are the bad parts.

  'Oh well,' I silently make my way down the stairs.

  I'm wearing a nice silky blue dress. The fabric dances around my body. I haven't worn this one too much; it's our mother's dress. This one is the only one she gave me, just before we moved here.

  On the way down the long stairs, I pass by Mus's room. I am quiet to not wake him up, but that didn't really work. A couple more steps down, and I hear his door creak open.

  "Hebe, what are you doing?" He asks me.

  I turn to him, a little startled. "Oh, Mus!"

  "Yeah, I am Mus." He stares at me, and even in the dim lighting I can tell that he won't take my act of playing dumb. "What are you doing?"

  "Uhm.." I try to search my brain for an excuse, but come out empty.

  "Just tell me," He sighs.

  "Yikes, er, so you know all of the dirty-coats that work here, right?" I feel a bit nauseous about telling him this. He is my friend though, so I suppose he has a right to know.

  He looks at me with a confused expression, "Yeah...?"

  After a bit of me trying to think out how to say this, I finally blurt, "Well, I'm meeting a friend tonight. Bean."

  His light blue eyes go wide, "A friend? — Never mind — Hebe! What if someone finds you both?"

  "I've done this before," I murmur; very embarrassed. I look down the hallways of bedrooms winding around the staircase.

  "Please keep this secret. I gotta get going now," That's all I give before I continue my rush down.

  "Be careful!" I hear him whisper-hiss at me. I throw a small thumbs up, and then I hear his door slam shut.

  'Well, that's Mus,' I think in a snort to myself, 'He tells you to be careful, and then slams the door,'

  That doesn't matter, as I am already outside. The moonlight makes everything look so... magical. It paints a soft glow on all of the little flowers beside the pathway.