26. THE DAFFODILS

~Myeong-Jun~

Underneath her, all of the others sat. They would be the next thrown into the arena. Each was chained to the ground, with guards surrounding the entrance. More to look threatening, than to do any harm. There wasn't a chance for an escape anyways.

"My people, cheer, and cheer loud if you want to see these criminals die today!" She calls out.

Immediately, they cheer. Some even start screaming. What has happened to these people? Could they not see how deprived they are, because of that "Queen?"

Edge lifts a finger down to the guards stationed beside the others. "Now, my guards, go make those imbeciles fight for the crowds,"

"A fight is what they'll get, indeed." I grit my teeth in reply, my glance sending daggers to the queen, "But, it'd be a fight between you and me, not Ken'ichi and I."

My voice begins to trail off as I slowly begin to grow more desperate for the safety of Ken'ichi. My life was something I could throw away, as if it were nothing. But Ken'ichi's was one I couldn't. "I won't fight Ken'ichi. You can attack me with all the guards you wish, all of the soldiers if you wish. Kill me if you want to, but I'm not budging from my choice."

Ken'ichi appears in protest of my actions. He grabs me by my hand, and I turn to look at him. Our eyes lock. As the only light around this, dark, corrupted civilization, Ken'ichi refuses to allow for me to self-sacrifice myself for the sake of him. With all of the earnestness and kindness in his heart, he warns me, "Don't do it, Myeong. I'll let you kill me, so you can live to see more days."

The guards enter down in a single-file manner. Most look exhausted, and worn out. What a shame, how "Her Majesty" sends each of these poor men out to die. She truly does not value human life.

They form a circle around the two "criminals." One holds down Myeong, while the other shoves a knife into Ken'ichi's hands. The roar from the crowd grows louder.

Apparently, watching one lover kill another appeases their useless hearts.

These fights probably distracts them from how oppressed they are.

While everyone is distracted by the fighting, chattering comes from the cell beneath Her Majesty. A small hand plays with the lock by the door. Then a head pops out.

It is Hidden. However, as soon as she comes out, she goes back inside. What are they doing?

Ken'ichi looks at the knife of which he now held in his hands. His arms shook with the deadly weapon within his grasp. Ken'ichi lifts the knife, and examines it for a bit. I knew he had no intention of killing, but he was playing along with it.

Ken'ichi walks towards me with the knife in his hand. I don't move at all, and I wait for him. That 'crowd', screams with excitement. That 'crowd', cheers for Ken'ichi to kill me.

I felt sick. Sick of playing this game. I kindle yet another flame, and fire the flame behind me, to the guard of which held me down. Like daughter, like father, I then thought of setting the entire arena on fire. Burning everyone around alive, killing those relentlessly. But, I didn't want to be him, a low-life criminal who valued nothing more than his own ambitions.

The guard screams, and falls down. Flames engulf his body. Everyone in the audience gets excited to see abilities being used once again, since almost all were wiped out before.

His death is short. Soon, he lies as a charred mess on the stone floor. However, his screams still echo through the arena, up to the very top seats.

Edge stands up. She is obviously annoyed by the fact that her servants are easily killed off. All of them weak. All of them useless.

"Myeong, you are to kill Ken'ichi, or I will do it for you," She yawns.

Before I respond, before I reply, before I fell onto my knees and begged for Ken'ichi's life, Atlanta jabs that 'queen', with a dagger, causing for the 'queen's' blood to flow out. Atlanta gives that 'queen', a cursed, broken smile, mixed with a longing expression. She takes the dagger out of the 'queen', not long after she stabbed the queen. Was... she dead?

Edge turns, completely surprised. Her eyes are glazed over, as she sees who stabbed her. She smiles. A few loose tears free themselves from her.

"I... I'm sorry, old friend." She murmurs, and then collapses.

Suddenly, it starts to rain. Each drop springs back life. All fighting stops, all cheers dim, and everyone just embraces the rain.

Here, it hasn't rained since the storm that brought down this world. Now, new life springs back here.

A couple critters begin to fly through the skies. They sing songs; beautiful little song. The skies are free from the clouded darkness.

Daffodils spring up from the ground. They cover everywhere. Some get in to our hair. They bring the sunlight. They bring new hope.

Atlanta bends down and puts her hand on the now-deceased queen's head. "Farewell, Edge. You've promised peace to us all, but you let the idea of power creep into your mind. However, I forgive you."

Under the rain, under the new hope, I smile a smile of relief. The sight was purely just... pleasing. An ideal world of peace, one that I've craved for, has finally been bestowed upon the people of Sun Tribe. We will all finally be free, finally be able to embrace happiness. The hyacinths were long gone, replaced with daffodils.

This was a world that I've worked all my life for, that I've spent every last drop of my time and well-being to earn. As much as I'd like to witness this new world form, I couldn't. I couldn't fight anymore. I begin to rock back and forth, vacillate.

Ken'ichi catches me inside of his arms. He holds me up, like I was nothing more than paper. Worry and concern shrouded his eyes.

"Myeong!" He practically yells my name, loud enough for the people even at the periphery to hear him. "Are... are you alright?"

"Of course I am, my sweet idiot." I lie. I recall calling Ken'ichi an idiot around the first few days where I met him. I remember threatening him, thinking he was here to assassinate me for the 'queen.'

Ken'ichi doubts me. "Are you sure?"

I send him a weak smile. I nod, "Yes, I'm sure. After all, I'm not the type to die so easily, eh?"

I catch tears beginning to form in Ken'ichi's eyes. A few tears cloud mine as well, but mine were convened by the rain. His tear slide down his cheeks. They flowed with the rain.

Ken'ichi shakes his head, "You're lying." He accuses me, his voice on the verge of breaking. "You're not okay. You're... dying."

"How did you know, sweet idiot?" I ask him, leaning my forehead against his. I close my eyes, "How did you? How do you know everything about me?"

"Because, I hate you too." Ken'ichi replies, responding to my continuous comments towards him where I have told him that I hated him.

My head falls back, and my limbs go limb. I muster out the strength to send Ken'ichi one, final message. "It's shining for me now, Ken'ichi. I can finally reach the stars. See you soon, my sweet idiot."

I allow myself to relax, as I watched the thorns and barbs untangle themselves, revealing a path for me to walk through. Death creeps its way up me, then, I begin to enter an eternal dream. I hold the star in my hand, before watching it fade away in front of me. Then, I walk forwards, into a new world.

——

A/N: thank you for reading "Daffodils and Hyacinths!" It really means a lot to me, and Ripplestream11 for choosing this book, out of the millions on here,, especially with the low reads & votes it is at

(I do not want to spoil anything, but Myeong's death was caused by from poisoning from her father)