21

hyunjin stirred awake, the faint light of dawn seeping through the curtains. for a moment, he was disoriented, his mind still lingering in the haze of sleep. but as consciousness seeped in, he remembered the events of yesterday—the day minho returned from god knows where.

his heart fluttered with a mix of relief and apprehension. minho was back, but what now? what had happened during his absence? questions tumbled in hyunjin's mind like scattered puzzle pieces begging to be put together. he hesitated for a moment, not quite ready to confront the emotions he'd kept at bay for so long.

with a heavy sigh, hyunjin glanced at the clock—early, too early for the world to stir. but today was different. today, he needed answers.

when he turned around, hyunjin's breath caught in his throat as he took in the sight of him. minho looked so small, so fragile, in the dim light of morning. his eyes were closed, lashes casting delicate shadows on his cheeks. for a moment, hyunjin allowed himself to simply watch, to drink in the sight of minho safe and sound.

but the moment passed too quickly, replaced by the weight of unanswered questions.

"minho," he whispered, reaching out to gently shake his shoulder. "minho, wake up."

at first, there was no response, and hyunjin's heart clenched with fear. but then, ever so slowly, minho's eyes fluttered open, revealing pools of darkness that seemed to swallow the light.

"h-hyunjin?" minho's voice was hoarse, barely above a whisper. he blinked, as if trying to clear away the remnants of sleep. "what... what time is it?"

"it's early," hyunjin replied softly, forcing a smile he didn't quite feel. "i... i wanted to talk to you."

minho's brow furrowed in confusion, and hyunjin's heart clenched at the sight. how could he explain the turmoil that had consumed him in minho's absence? how could he put into words the fear and the longing that had plagued his every moment?

"talk?" minho echoed, his voice barely more than a breath. he sat up slowly, wincing as if every movement caused him pain. "about what?"

"about everything," hyunjin said, his voice barely more than a whisper. he then sat up on the bed, careful to keep a little distance. "about where you went, and... and why."

minho's gaze flickered away, and hyunjin's heart sank at the distance between them. he'd hoped that minho's return would bridge the gap that had formed between them, but now he wasn't so sure. now he feared that the distance was too great to ever be crossed.

"i..." minho trailed off, his voice barely audible above the rustle of the sheets. he seemed to shrink in on himself, as if trying to disappear from sight. "i can't."

the words were like a knife to hyunjin's heart, slicing through the fragile hope he'd dared to harbor. he felt the sting of tears behind his eyes, but he refused to let them fall. not now, not when he needed to be strong.

"why not?" he asked, his voice barely steady. "why can't you tell me?"

minho didn't answer, and hyunjin's heart shattered at the silence that stretched between them. he wanted to reach out, to take minho's hand in his and never let go. but he knew that now wasn't the time—that now, more than ever, they needed to find their own way back to each other.

with a heavy sigh, hyunjin stood from the bed, his legs shaky beneath him. he glanced back at minho, still small and fragile in the morning light, and felt a surge of something akin to despair. how had they ended up here, so far apart yet so desperately entwined?

"i'll give you some space," he said softly, his voice barely more than a whisper. "but know that i need answers. whenever you're ready to talk, i'll be here."

a/n: ayo i dunno what im doing with my life