Chapter 23

Leyla's POV:

I exited the vehicle and mentally prepared for the lecture I'm due for. I put my white runners on the pavement and take steps towards the grounds. My feet reach a meter away from Chens and I look up to see his yellow and blue eyes filled with disappointment and anger.

"I don't see Ashley Parker with you. What happened?" he demanded quietly, but you could practically feel the frustration pooling out of his figure in waves.

"she escaped. She left." I report, fighting back the emotions inside me as I address him with the proper posture.

"I see, and you're sure she willing left?"

"Yes." She said simply, "but I can get her back. Just let me keep on trying, she will see how it is out there and want to come back, please." she added desperately, before subconsciously hiding her emotions once again.

He looked at her contemplating his choices, then he slowly nodded looking at her figure still." Alright Miss Miller, but one consideration for you."

"Anything." She answered honestly.

He smiled, "are you ready to lead the troops?"

I looked at him blankly, "well, anything to get Ashley back."

"Good, we've been waiting for you to finally prove your dedication to the kingdom."

"What are you talking about?"

"The only reason why we made Ashley a guard before you was we needed you to be ready, and for you to dedicate yourself to our mission. Be ready for your guarding ceremony tomorrow at sunset, I'll tell the staff." He walked away, leaving me blankly staring in his space before a smile made its way on my face.

"Well you know what they say, if you want something done right, do it yourself." I spoke to myself.

"Don't worry Ashley," I looked at the shiny ring on my left ring finger, "Ill be the one to bring you home."

Ashleys POV

The sun was set, and we climbed back down the tree, already approaching the sonorous kingdom.

When I learnt about this kingdom, I expected large concrete walls, weapons, maybe some ninjas swinging through overhead trees, basically I expected the nightmare central. But this was absolutely nothing like that, it waswarm.

We approached the walls of the kingdom, they were made of wood, wood planks and trees that were conveniently growing there.

The doorway was an open arch that we just walked through, I hesitated on that first step through, but Ajax helped me through my hesitance. I looked around, unlike the lighter wood for the walls, the buildings were made of various kinds of darker wood, browns and some even blacks.

The road was pebbled, and the roads were filled with elves.

You know, for a kingdom of shadow elves everything was very light and kind. I saw elves look at us and stare and whisper, I got a little self-conscious from the staring, but I kept up my posture. There were adults and seniors and children. They had various styles and various haircuts, but they all had one commonality.

They all had different shades of white for hair, mostly the children had pure white hair while the older they got, the darker, or greyer they got.

they had various eye colors which some even seems like youre looking through a kaleidoscope.

Ajax continued to pull me through the crowd as children ran around chasing each other with toys, I inwardly wince of how much trouble theyll be in with their supervisor for causing a disturbance.

The houses around us looked only to be a story tall, which was weird seeing how tall the buildings are in the Etherial kingdom.

The lanterns were our only source of light, hanging on vines attached to the houses roofs.

At the end of the curvy path we were walking on there was a building that looked the size of the temple.

It was the only building that looked like it wasnt planning on moving anytime soon, it had a central compartment and two smaller towers flanking its sides.

The stone walls were decorated with climbing ivy and moss, adding to its rustic charm. A soft carpet of fallen leaves and moss surrounds the castle.

Although the vibe wasnt any different from the village, it was oddly comforting and relaxing, and that made me suspicious and on guard.

We reached the doors and Ajax enthusiastically knocked on the doors. My breath hitched at the noise and my heartrate was going a million miles an hour.

The door opened to reveal an older woman, around her 50s dressed in an evergreen dress.

Her rose-red eyes turned towards Ajax, and she put a hand to her mouth as her eyes teared up.

"A.J!" she exclaimed as she embraced her son, I assume.

Ajax laughed as his mother threw herself at him and he embraced her.

After a while of their moment, and me standing there quite awkwardly I must say, they broke apart.

She turned towards me blankly.

"Mom, meet Ashley, Ashley Parker." Ajax introduced me and I swear she looked like she was going to explode with happiness.

I smiled cautiously and gave a small wave, slowly backing up a couple steps.

"After so long, oh dear you must be starving! Ill go inside and whip up something. And I must contact Walela and Agnar, goodness knows how theyll react." She rants excitedly, but unknowing too the two elves in front of me, the longer she talks the more uncomfortable and scared I feel.

We walk inside the interior of the castle and Ajax and his mother catch up in the kitchen. I sit down at the table awkwardly, looking at the plates and cutlery, and how theyre silver.

The plates are white with a silver design, the table is wood. The lights were glass, everything was different materials and design, but it all fit together nicely.

Laughter was found in the kitchen and I stared at the open doorway to the kitchen.

Half of me expected to see Marie Mancini pop out of the door, offer me food and give me an inspirational line of encouragement, and half of me knew I would never see her again because no matter how much I try to convince myself Im doing this because of my kingdom, I know thats not true.

I ran away, I went rogue. I betrayed everyone I ever loved out of my own curiosity, and even if I did go back, I would never get my life back.

What did I get myself into?

A/N 1088 words