Chapter 27

Leyla's POV

"Nothing! Absolutely nothing!" I yelled as I paced in the same spot I've been for the last 10 minutes.

"Leyla, I'm sorry, but we have been working as hard as we can-" I cut her off with a raise of my hand. "Sorry isn't good enough. You aren't good enough." I snapped at her. And Linda widened her eyes in surprise and hurt.

I looked at her, that same betrayal in her eyes, "No, Linda-" I cut myself off with a sigh. "I know you guys are doing the best you can, and I've been working my own butt off 24/7, but I shouldn't take it out on you." I add, "Go take a break or whatever."

The rest of my group looked at each other, smiled and left happily, off to get some well-deserved sleep. But Linda stayed, concern etching her face. "Leyla, I understand you want to get her back, we all want her back. But would Ashley really want you to fuss and worry about her rather than your own needs? Besides, with better sleep, better performance. After all, we can't let our captain slip on a mission can we?" She tries smiling to lighten the mood.

Before I could even have the chance to answer she left for her dorm, leaving me alone in the hallway. I sighed and looked down at the floor. Slowly I brought up my left hand and looked at the patterned ring. With my right hand I brought it to my chest and closed my eyes. I miss you, Ashley.

"Miss. Miller, any success?" A voice rattled warning bells through my head, I used the collar of my shirt to wipe off the tears and I composed myself properly in record time and spun around to meet Xanthos Chen watching me. "No, sir, there was no information on the matter."

"The cameras?"

"Tampered." I responded.

"The files?" he questions.

Gone, robbed of.

He crossed his arms and looked away in thought. "I'm afraid they might be in the enemy's territory now."

"The sonorous kingdom?" I asked in alarm.

He looks at me amused, "Glad to see your paying attention."

"But Trainor Chen, we won't have enough soldiers to send there."

"Oh Leyla, you underestimate the numbers and advantages we really have. We have a whole kingdom, and fear on our side." he smirks.

"Fear? Why would they fear us?" I asked confused. don't we fear them?

He looked at me, like it was a secret he wasnt sure if he could share. "Miss Miller, come with me to my office."

"What? Why?" I stubbornly take a step back in fear.

"Lets just say that the sonorous isnt as feared as we make it seem. Our history with them goes a lot farther than anyone can ever imagine. A millennia even, of battles back and forth. We pushed them back, further and further, diminished their numbers. But we lived in peace for a while, well, until 15 years ago." he answered while walking to his office.

"What happened 15 years ago?" I asked when we entered his office. It was a dimly lit space and only saw a plain wood table with golden edges and gold leather chairs.

"Ashley was born." he answered simply sitting in his chair, motioning for me to sit in the other one.

"What does that have to do with all of this?"

He hesitated, "we may have, well, fibbed about her birth story. Her mother and father are very much still alive, but for our safety, we had to take her."

I stared at him blankly" what?" I ask, my voice cracking.

"Her mother is most likely the most powerful there is, shes a sorcerer of the elements, and her father is a highly experienced healer." He explained quickly, as if that made it all better. "Together, Ashley would have become the most powerful being, and most powerful foe. She would have surpassed her parents abilities; they would have used her against us. Everything that we do here, would be gone." he dramatically ended.

"So, you dont want her back for her? Arent you using her too?" I questioned his morals and loyalty.

"No, I love Ashley as if shes my own daughter-" he stops, calculating his words. "I'm providing a safe environment for her."

"You don't love her." I coldly say. Love was supposed to be affectionate, to care, I know that much.

He looks down in sadness, "I love her very much, I was responsible for her, it was as if she was the one to help me, to become better." he quietly confesses.

"When the guards responsible for her transport here were successful in their mission, I overwatched the task, not caring for her one bit. But then when she turned 6 years old, and snuck out of her dorm to watch the older children train with me, well, she intrigued me." he laughed.

I watched as his eyes lit up slightly while he talked about her.

"She is a brave soul, dedicated, and more mature than most people her age. I guess Della rubbed off on her, she was also always very mature for her age, she loved to play and watch out for children younger than her, despite them being even 2 years younger than her." my heart wrenches at the mention of my deceased friend.

"Della should have become a guard, she deserved it." I state.

"In time, perhaps. She had the heart, but not the mind. She wasnt dedicated to our cause."

I thought a bit before questioning, "I always thought our cause was surviving this war between us and the sonorous, but knowing the information I was missing before, what is our cause exactly?"

"Our cause is what it always has been, whats best for our kingdom and people. No matter what may happen to our enemies. And I would like you to help me Leyla." he offers.

"How can I?"

He smiles, "help train our new recruits with me, send out troops in an attempt to get Ashley back, and get resources for our kingdom. Continue doing what youre doing, just more in base."

"Be the head of operations you mean?" I asked, absolutely astonished by the deal.

"Do you accept Miss. Miller?" He stands up, extending his hand, his eyes illuminating the space.

I stand up and send the chair a foot or so away from the desk, "I do." I say as I extend my own hand and we shake.

He smiled and the light flickered behind him, making the shadows on his features exaggerate.

But only for a second.

A/N 1109 words